Click here for Fulbright Program Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.


50 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period
10 Months

Candidates should design projects that begin in early September 2021 or early March 2022, so that their arrivals in China will correspond with the beginning of the academic term at the Chinese host institution. Alternative project timelines are acceptable only for PhD candidates or those grantees applying for Critical Language Enhancement Awards. All candidates receiving Critical Language Enhancement Awards to study Mandarin in China will carry out their language studies in an approved program in the summer or fall of 2021, and their Fulbright research terms will begin immediately after the conclusion of their intensive language programs.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in the summer of 2021 as a condition of their grants.

Accepted Degree Levels
Foreign Language Proficiency
Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Mandarin proficiency is necessary, not only for the development of the proposed project, but also in order to settle in easily and communicate on a daily basis. Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project.

Fulbright Proposal Types
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: No
Affiliation Fees/Tuition

  • Candidates currently residing in China, Hong Kong or Macau (or those who will be living there during the 2020-2021 academic year) will not be considered.
  • Proposals for intern work at NGOs or other organizations will not be accepted.
  • Proposals for enrollment in Chinese graduate degree programs will not be accepted.

Field of Study Restrictions

Business is not recommended. Hard science and technology projects are not recommended except in: environmental science, public health and sustainable development.

Dependent support is not available
Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact