10 Fulbright Future Scholarship
Accepted Degree Levels
Grant PeriodSpring Start
Grant Length4-36 Months
Specialized Grant Types
- Science/Public Health
Fulbright Graduate Degree Grants
The Australian-American Fulbright Commission is pleased to offer the Fulbright Future Scholarships. This unique opportunity provides significant funding for projects that seek to have a positive impact on the health, prosperity, and livelihoods of Americans and Australians.
Thanks to generous support from The Kinghorn Foundation, the Fulbright Future Scholarships are looking to support projects that seek to advance cutting-edge applied science, kick start innovative business collaborations that foster the creation of new jobs, or further the development of impact-driven emergent technologies.
A monthly stipend for up to 3 years is possible for applicants proposing enrollment in an Australian PhD program.
Candidates undertaking graduate study should commence their grants in January or February 2024. Those carrying out research must commence their grants at the start of the university year in January or February 2024 with the specific start date agreed upon by both grantee and host institution.
The Commission offers an in-person Orientation Program in late February.
Fulbright Future Scholarships are open to applications for American candidates who satisfy the following criteria.
- Can apply to complete a full Australian postgraduate degree (up to 3 years)
- Can apply to conduct research towards a U.S. PhD program or as an independent research project (6 – 10 months)
- Must have an undergraduate qualification
- Should aim to create, contribute to, or otherwise enhance Australian-American bilateral research collaborations
- Must dedicate half a page of the Statement of Grant Purpose (labeled with header “Impact”) to highlighting the potential impact of their proposed research/study
- All applicants are required to include a letter of invitation from their proposed institution with their application (except postgraduate students seeking to complete an Australian master’s or PhD program)
Accepted Degree Levels
Special Application Instructions
Applicants must select "Fulbright Future Scholarship" in the award name field of the application.
What is considered "Impact"?
- To qualify for the Future Scholarships program, applicants must dedicate half a page of the Statement of Grant Purpose (labeled with header “Impact”) to highlighting the potential impact of their proposed research/study. "Impact" may be defined as:
- Significant advancement of new technologies, techniques, or other novel research with potential for practical outcomes
- Tangible effect, benefit, or outcome for Australians and Australian society
- Creation of enduring bilateral commercial or research partnerships with potential for significant growth
- Novel approaches to medical treatment or rehabilitation
- Potential for job-creation
Candidates who are recommended for final review by the Fulbright Commission in Australia may be contacted for 20-30 minute interviews via Zoom or phone.
Foreign Language Proficiency
Fulbright Proposal Types
Letter required for independent study or research at deadline
Letter of acceptance required prior to grant start
Degree seeking candidates are not required to have secured affiliation at the time of application but should include some discussion on their ideal top 1-3 institutions/degree program in the project statement. Securing admission at an institution is the responsibility of the applicant after the results of their Fulbright application has been announced.
Research candidates must secure affiliation at the time of application and include a letter of invitation from the proposed host with the application.
The Fulbright Future Scholarship does not cover the cost of tuition fees and is for travel and monthly stipend only. Australian universities may waive tuition fees, where possible, for U.S. Fulbright graduate students enrolling in a higher degree program. Please note that the waiving of tuition fees is at the discretion of the Australian institution, and candidates are responsible for negotiating tuition fee waivers directly with the corresponding institutions. Tuition fees are reviewed annually, are subject to change, and vary with each institution.
Dependents (spouse and/or children under 18) are eligible on the required visa for entry into Australia.