Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Past Grantees
Jessie-Leigh Seago
Political Science
Jandy Gu
Karolina Sanchewska
Tate Quinones
English Teaching Assistantship
Cynthia Joseph
English Teaching Assistantship

University of Florida

Fulbright Program Adviser(s)

Regan Garner
Associate Director. Honors Program
Infirmary 343
Gainesville, Florida 32611
(352) 392-1519
Dr. Art Sandeen
304 Yon Hall
Gainesville, Florida 32611

Institution Information

Campus Deadline: September 04, 2018

The University of Florida invites all seniors, graduate students, and recent alumni to apply through the institution. All interested applicants should review country-specific grant information on the Fulbright US Student Program web site and contact Fulbright Program Adviser Regan Garner with questions. Dr. Art Sandeen is available to discuss and review project proposals and personal statements throughout the year.

Applicants wishing to apply through UF must meet the campus deadline in order to be scheduled for an interview with the campus committee. This committee is made up of UF faculty Fulbright Scholars that have experience in an applicant’s discipline and / or host country. Applicants will have access to their applications after the campus interview, allowing them to revise their applications based on feedback from the campus committee. See timeline below for additional details.

September 4: Application must be submitted in the Embark application system. The on-line portion of the application must be complete, and the statement of grant purpose, personal statement, and unofficial or official UF transcript must be uploaded. Letters of reference, letter of affiliation (research applicants only), language evaluations (if required), and non-UF transcripts may be submitted after the UF deadline if necessary. Supplementary materials required for applicants in the Creative & Performing Arts should be emailed to Fulbright Program Adviser Regan Garner at rlgarner@ufl.edu on or before the campus deadline.

September 17-21 and 24-28: Campus committee interviews take place in person or via Skype. Applicants should bring a copy of their application to the interview. After their interview, applicants will have access to the Embark application to make edits and submit missing materials before the national deadline.

October 9, 5pm EST: National online application closes, no submissions will be accepted after this time. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a day or two early!

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.