Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Past Grantees
Michael Acosta
Danbi Lee
English Teaching Assistantship
Christopher Robinson
Environmental Studies
Zena Casteel
Ashley Wilcox

University of Massachusetts Amherst

Fulbright Program Adviser

Dr. Madalina Akli
Director of Office of National Scholarship Advisement
301 Commonwealth Honors College
Amherst, Massachusetts 01003

Institution Information

Campus Deadline: August 31, 2018

Campus registration: submit the “Start the Process Form” on the ONSA website by June 1 https://onsa.umass.edu/start-the-process-today/ Campus submission deadline: August 31 Applications submitted after August 31 cannot be endorsed by UMass. National submission: October 3 Campus Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA) Dr. Madalina Akli makli@umass.edu

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.