Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Transcript Upload Instructions

The Fulbright Program requires a complete academic record of your higher education. You must provide transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions from which you received or expect to receive degrees, regardless of your degree level. Transcripts must also be submitted from other institutions where you received credit for coursework.

Failure to submit any required transcripts will result in your being declared ineligible.

Type of Transcript

The transcript that you scan and upload must be a document that was produced by the registrar. Essentially this will be an academic record that is organized chronologically--with course titles, credits and grades. This may be a Student Copy of an official transcript or the official transcript itself.

Some transcripts also report coursework from a different institution. If the course names and grades appear on the transcript that you are uploading/submitting, then it is not necessary for you to also upload/submit a separate transcript for transfer credit.

Exceptions can be made for individual transcripts that list fewer than 8 transfer credits/grades and if the course work is not relevant to your Fulbright project. That is, it may not be necessary for you to acquire and submit transcripts for summer programs or short-term study abroad. While you may use your judgment as to whether or not to include a particular transcript, keep in mind that the more complete your academic record, the better the review committees will be able to assess your background and preparation.

Scanning Your Transcripts

Scan by Degree Level: Once you have collected all of your transcripts, scan your transcripts and create a pdf  for each  of the following degree level:

  • Bachelor’s-level
  • Master’s-level
  • Doctoral-level
  • If you have more than one institution per degree level, combine transcripts into a single pdf, ordering the most recent transcript first, followed by others in chronological order.
  • If you received more than one degree from the same institution, you may upload the entire transcript on the page corresponding to the lowest level degree. Do not upload duplicate transcripts.

Document Orientation:
When you scan your transcript, make sure that the document orientation is correct.

  • Transcripts that are printed vertically (Portrait) should be scanned so that they appear in the Portrait format in the PDF.
  • Transcripts that are printed horizontally (Landscape) should be scanned so that they appear in Landscape format in the PDF.

Saving your document:
To ensure successful processing, please include a file extension when naming (e.g., UndergradTanscript.doc) and limit the size of the uploaded files to 10 MB.

View Scanned Document: Make sure that your scanned document is legible and orientation is correct for all pages in the document.

It will not be a positive reflection on your application if your transcript is not legible or is side-ways when viewed in the PDF!


Larger Scanned Files

Scan and upload your transcripts by degree level to facilitate the proper ordering of your transcripts in the PDF version of you complete application that is read online.

To reduce the size of your document, please print out the pages that you'd like to upload. Then, scan the printed out pages into a valid file format, and upload this new document onto the appropriate section in your online application.

When you scan your document, please make sure to scan in a low resolution, in black and white and in the correct 8x11 format, to ensure that the document is under the 10MB file upload limit.


Narrative Evaluations

If your transcripts are comprised of narrative evaluations and not letter grades, then you will need to reduce the number of pages that you submit. The first pages of the scanned document will be the transcript summary that chronologically lists the courses you have taken and credit received. This can be followed by several pages of narrative comments, generally courses from the most recent semesters and/or courses that are most relative to the project.  

Please do not scan or upload copies of certificates, non-degree course work, or other awards. You may note this type of coursework or certificate, if appropriate, in other sections of the application.


Upload Pages in the Online Application

You can upload transcripts into three pages (documents) in the Online Application. If necessary, you may scan more than one transcript as a single document. The protocol for Transcript Upload is as follows. In the review PDF version of the application, items scanned in Page 3 will appear first, followed by items scanned in Page 2, and followed by items scanned in Page 1.


Transcript Upload Page 1:

Scan and upload your UNDERGRADUATE degree granting institution transcript. If you have additional undergraduate credits or degrees on transcripts from other institutions, you may scan these pages following the degree-granting pages.

Transcript Upload Page 2:

Scan and upload your most recent MASTER’S DEGREE transcript. If you have additional Master’s-level credits or degrees on transcripts from other institutions, you may scan these pages following the most recent graduate degree-granting pages.

Transcript Upload Page 3:

Scan and upload your most recent DOCTORAL DEGREE transcript. If you have additional doctoral-level credits on transcripts from other institutions, you may scan these pages following the doctoral-level degree-granting pages. If you have completed a doctoral degree (except J.D. or MD) before the competition deadline, you are ineligible and should not complete this application.

After you upload your transcripts, PREVIEW the page to make sure that you uploaded the correct transcript(s); the pages are legible; and that the page orientation is correct. If not:

  • Re-scan the pages
  • Save them again
  • Delete the document in the Transcript Upload Page
  • Upload the re-scanned document.

Your scanned transcripts should be in the order indicated above so that reviewers can easily assess your academic background and qualifications for the Fulbright project that you are proposing. If you include extraneous information in this section, your application may not receive as thorough a review. Please do not scan or upload copies of certificates, non-degree course work, or other awards. You may note this type of coursework or certificate, if appropriate, in other sections of the application.


Official Transcripts for Recommended Candidates

If you are recommended for a Fulbright Grant, regardless of your degree level, one (1) official transcript showing the conferral of your undergraduate degree (baccalaureate or equivalent) and official transcripts of all graduate degree work must be sent directly to the Institute of International Education and received before a formal grant offer can be made. These transcripts must contain the registrar’s stamp and seal and must be sent from the registrar’s office in a sealed envelope. If you order an official transcript and keep it in the sealed envelope, you may send this sealed envelope to IIE; however, loose transcripts send directly by the student will not be accepted.

Additional information will be provided to recommended candidates. Official transcripts for recommended candidates are sent to:

Official Transcripts
U.S. Student Programs
Institute of International Education
809 UN Plaza
New York NY 10017

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.