Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

18 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Applicants must identify in the Project Abstract and the first paragraph of their Statements of Grant Purpose the broad category that best describes their project proposal:

  1. Independent Research Only:  Proposals to conduct research in Canada either independently or as part of the candidate's current graduate program. Independent researchers should provide evidence of advanced research skills.
  2. Independent Study/Research:  Proposals that combine study with research activities. Affiliation with an academic institution is central to this type of project.  
  3. Graduate Degree Enrollment: Applicants may enroll in a graduate program at a university in Canada and propose a specific project as part of their Canadian graduate program. Formal Enrollment candidates must apply directly to Canadian graduate programs simultaneously with the application for a Fulbright grant. Fulbright Canada is not involved in university admissions. Research and research/study candidates are responsible for obtaining a letter of invitation from their intended host institution and must adhere to all host institution regulations pertaining to visiting researchers.   

All applicants are required to demonstrate the relevance of their projects to the Canadian Fulbright Program’s mandate, which is to enhance mutual understanding between the two countries.  

Applicants who will have received a Ph.D. by December 31, 2018 should apply to the Fulbright Scholar Program, see www.cies.org.

Grant Period

9 Months

Orientation takes place in September, and grants normally coincide with the academic year.  Bachelor's degree must be conferred prior to the orientation.

Shorter grant periods (6 months minimum) may be considered on an exceptional basis for students not enrolled in a formal program.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information:  French language ability commensurate with the requirements of the project and/or the requirements of the institution at any of the Francophone institutions and a Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level French language instructor is required.

Several bilingual universities offer courses in both French and English. For further information, please contact Fulbright Canada (www.fulbright.ca) directly.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


All grantees must have an approved affiliation with an appropriate host (i.e., a university or other research-oriented institution) in Canada and are responsible for securing such an affiliation and documenting it in the application. Applicants are encouraged to establish an affiliation with the intended host institution at an early stage and ideally have a fallback position. Applicants must list their potential host institution(s) in the Statement of Grant Purpose.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The award is a fixed sum for one nine-month academic year beginning in September. The award is meant to help offset tuition, fees, cost of living, and related expenses. A number of Canadian universities offer competitive graduate awards that can supplement the Fulbright Canada award. In addition, some provinces provide direct awards for enrolled graduate students who hold external awards such as a Fulbright grant.


Persons who hold permanent residence status in Canada will not be considered for U.S. student grants to Canada. In addition, candidates residing in or studying at a university in Canada during the academic year prior to the grant start are not eligible for Fulbright grants to Canada.

A candidate who has resided abroad for five or more consecutive years in the six-year period preceding the date of application is ineligible for a grant.  A candidate who has lived outside the United States for nine months or more during the calendar year is deemed to have resided abroad for that year.

Special Opportunities

Professional Development Grants, available on a competitive basis under the auspices of the Fulbright Canada Mobility Program, are allocated to grantees in the winter term. Other opportunities, such as the Eco-Leadership Program, are also available.

Fulbright/John R. Oishei Award: This award is available for an American student who is from Buffalo, NY, permanently residing in the greater Buffalo area, or studying in Buffalo. Applicants interested in pursuing their studies in the fields of business, health care, education, and cultural, social or civic needs of the community are eligible. The Foundation gives priority to innovative, creative, and time-limited programs or projects. All qualified applicants will be considered; special notation on the application is not required.

General Comments

Awards offer a unique opportunity to explore important contemporary issues relevant to Canada and the United States and the relationship between the two countries. While the competition is officially open to all fields, applications in the following areas are especially encouraged: Canada-U.S. relations; comparative public policy; law; transportation; international trade; North American integration; communications; culture; ecology and the environment; indigenous issues; security; public health; science and technology; and border issues.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Michelle Emond, Program Officer

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.