Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
6 Months
Grant Period

6 Months

The academic year begins in September and ends in June, including a winter break.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in June/July 2019 as a condition of their grant.

Candidate Profile

The Fulbright Program is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. Applicants should consider submitting a proposal that includes teaching English language courses and/or other sustained cultural outreach activities in addition to their research/study.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Proficiency in Russian or Uzbek language is recommended and may be required. Language proficiency commensurate with the nature of the proposed project is expected prior to commencing the grant.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants may indicate their preference for host institution affiliation in their applications. The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent will seek the most appropriate placement.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Grantees wishing to be placed at the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan should be aware of a requirement to pay for tuition. U.S. Embassy in Tashkent recommends an alternate placement at higher education institutions under the Ministry of Higher Education of Uzbekistan. 

Research Clearance and Visa Information

Clearance from the Republic of Uzbekistan is required for all Fulbright assignments. The U.S. Embassy in Tashkent applies for all necessary clearances. After the affiliation is confirmed by the Uzbekistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), the host institution will be able to request a visa. The detailed procedure for obtaining visa and project clearance will be communicated to grantees upon selection.

As the clearance process takes at least a month, interested applicants should contact the Embassy well in advance of the grant start date. Projects regarding subjects that are socially, culturally, or politically sensitive may be denied clearance. 


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Saida Chorieva

Additional Online Resources

U.S. Embassy Tashkent Facebook page

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.