Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Sri Lanka

< Back to country

5 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Award Profile

This grant provides its recipients the opportunity to teach English in Sri Lanka while engaging meaningfully with different cultures and communities.

Those who have not been to Sri Lanka before are encouraged to apply, as are applicants who display a genuine interest in new cultures and the willingness to be flexible and to adapt to a new environment.

Grant Period

9 Months

November through August. Fulbright Grantees are required to arrive no earlier than a few days before the commencement of the in-country orientation program (a 3-5 day program) in Sri Lanka scheduled for mid-late November. Grantees must secure approval from the Fulbright Commission in Sri Lanka for their travel dates. The grant begins on the day the grantee arrives in Sri Lanka.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Grantees will be required to participate in a Virtual Pre-Departure Orientation in 2019 as a condition of their grants. Grantees are strongly advised to attend this program as Commission staff attend this program and share vital information about visa processes and grant benefits.

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from articulate and flexible graduating seniors, recent graduates or Master’s students who demonstrate a high level of maturity and the initiative to teach English at the middle/high school level or college level. Candidates must be native English speakers. Candidates with Master's degrees or degrees in English, Education or TEFL/applied linguistics, are preferred, but candidates from all majors are welcome to apply. Some previous teaching/tutoring experience is preferred, but is not required.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: A basic knowledge of Sinhala or Tamil is recommended, but not essential. The Fulbright program offers a one-month language training course to ETAs and there are opportunities to continue language study while at the placement.

Placement Type

Elementary School

Middle School

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational Institution

Nature of Assignment

Approximately 30-40 hours per week of classroom teaching is expected, plus all class preparation time and additional school-related activities. ETAs will generally teach conversational English and some composition (and, where applicable, language and/or literature) to middle school, early high school, and college students. They will be expected to follow a Government stipulated syllabus if they are teaching in schools.


Housing arrangements will be made with the assistance of the Fulbright Commission and the host schools/colleges.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Tissa Jayatilaka

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.