Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

4 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Grant provides participants the opportunity to assist in the teaching of English in Nepali government schools and immerse in the local culture through home stays. The Nepal program seeks applicants who are able to be flexible while functioning in a challenging, under-resourced school environment and who are eager to immerse in local culture through the home stay experience.

Grant Period

10 Months

The 2019-2020 Fulbright English Teaching Assistant program in Nepal will commence in March 2020 in order to align with the Nepali academic year. English Teaching Assistants will arrive in March to participate in an orientation that will include Nepali language training and technical training for one month prior to their placements with English teachers in Nepali government schools. ETAs will be working in their respective schools from April through December.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Grantees will be required to participate in a Virtual Pre-Departure Orientation (VPDO) in June/July 2019 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from articulate and flexible graduating seniors, recent graduates or Master’s students who demonstrate a high level of maturity, an excitement about cultural immersion in Nepal and the initiative to assist English teachers at the elementary, or lower or higher secondary level.

Since all living arrangements for ETAs are in village home stays with Nepali families, and school placements are in rural Nepali government schools with Nepali counterpart teachers, candidates must possess an excitement about cultural immersion in Nepal. Candidates must be native English-speakers and without dependents.

Candidates with degrees in English, Education, TEFL/applied linguistics, Anthropology, or Asian Studies are preferred, but candidates from all majors are welcome to apply. Previous teaching/tutoring experience is preferred. Facilities in most Nepali public schools are extremely limited, especially so in rural schools where ETAs are placed; therefore, applicants must demonstrate flexibility, resourcefulness and the ability to adapt well. A sense of humor goes a long way.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: The month-long, in-country orientation includes intensive language instruction and the grant includes an allowance for continued language learning, which is encouraged by the Commission, as proficiency in Nepali language or other local languages is very beneficial for the grantee. Grantees will also be given language materials before they arrive in the country.

Placement Type

Elementary School

Middle School

Secondary School

School placements are in rural Nepali government schools with Nepali counterpart teachers. Some hiking will be involved.

Special Application Instructions

Nature of Assignment

Nepal ETAs assist English teachers, providing a native-speaker’s presence in their placements at rural Nepali government schools, where the need for English language support is the highest. They are placed with co-teachers and have local focal persons who provide local-level support and suggest non-school-based English language activities. Nepal ETAs in the past have engaged in a broad range of creative school-based and community-based activities which have included students, school teachers, NGOs and others.

The Nepali academic calendar is quite different from the American academic calendar and there are extended periods of school closure in October/November and December. ETAs take any personal vacation time during the Dashain or winter school vacation periods and the Nepal Commission assists ETAs in planning activities for other periods of extended school closure.


Housing arrangements will be made with the assistance of the Fulbright Commission, the host schools, and the focal persons. All ETAs are placed in homestays for the length of the grant period and the homestays are an important feature of the Nepal ETA program, providing opportunities for cultural immersion and language learning, otherwise difficult to achieve.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Krisha Shrestha

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.