Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

4 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

The Fulbright U.S. Student Research grants offer an opportunity to conduct individually designed research projects in Nepal.

Grant Period

10 Months

Mid-July through mid-May. Grantees should arrive in time to attend the mandatory mid-July 2019 orientation meetings in Kathmandu, and must make their travel plans through the Fulbright Commission.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Grantees will be required to participate in a Virtual Pre-Departure Orientation (VPDO) in June/July 2019 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

All disciplines will be considered.  Applicants must have a well-defined research project and must have demonstrated ability to work independently, have a solid foundation in their subject areas, and have demonstrated high levels of adaptability and maturity. Since university library holdings in Nepal are limited and local faculty supervision is generally not available, grantees usually work without close supervision.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information:

Nepali or another local language (e.g., Bhojpuri, Maithili, Newari, Tibetan) language proficiency commensurate with the nature of the proposed project is recommended. Applicants without Nepali or relevant local language skills should include significant plans for language study in their proposals. Regardless of the grantee’s language ability, the Fulbright Commission provides initial language instruction during the week-long in-country orientation period and highly recommends that grantees continue language study throughout their grant periods.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are required to identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and to include Affiliation Letters with their Fulbright applications. 

Affiliations may be with local or international non-governmental organizations, university departments, or other institutions. Fulbright grantees do not enroll in university courses, but may find it productive to work with Nepali faculty or graduate students when appropriate. The Fulbright grant is not meant to support internships at organizations in Nepal. Rather, it is meant to support independent research.

Special Application Instructions

 For students undertaking health-related research, their projects must be approved by the Nepal Health Research Council, which acts as the only Institutional Review Board in Nepal. This process can be completed after the grantee arrives in Nepal, but grantees undertaking health-related research should be prepared to devote time to that process at the beginning of the grant period.

For students who are un-affiliated with a graduate program at the time of application, it would be important to address in the application measures expected to be taken to ensure the protection of human subjects, if the research project involves human subjects.

Students should not plan on conducting research in Nepal government-designated restricted areas that require special permits.

Security Concerns

The Fulbright Commission in Nepal will carefully review all Fulbright proposals for feasibility and security concerns. Applicants must be flexible in response to changing conditions and grantees must comply with all security procedures set in place by the Commission in consultation with the U.S. Embassy in Nepal.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Yamal Rajbhandary

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.