Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

3 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

September through June. English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) will arrive in late August to participate in an orientation in Bishkek, prior to teaching. Additional Russian/Kyrgyz language classes are available throughout the grant period. ETAs will begin assistant-teaching in their respective schools from September through May in accordance with Kyrgyzstan’s academic year.

Pre-Departure Orientation


Grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in June/July 2019 as a condition of their grant.

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from articulate and flexible graduating seniors, recent graduates or Master’s students who demonstrate a high level of maturity and the initiative to teach English at the secondary level. Candidates must be native English-speakers and without dependents. Candidates with degrees in English, Education or TEFL/applied linguistics, are preferred, but candidates from all majors are welcome to apply. Some previous teaching/tutoring experience is preferred.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Basic knowledge of Kyrgyz or Russian is recommended, but not required.


All affiliation arrangements will be made by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan. ETAs will be placed in Bishkek, Karakol or Kant.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational Institution

Nature of Assignment

Approximately 16-20 hours per week of in-classroom assistant-teaching is expected, plus all class preparation time and additional school-related activities. ETAs will generally assistant-teach conversational English and some composition to early high school students. Under the guidance of the Public Affairs Office, students will also have the opportunity to participate in community outreach and cultural activities, such as directing reading and conversation groups at the secondary level, conducting trainings, and making presentations. Alumni of other U.S. Government-sponsored programs, such as the English Language Fellows program, http://elprograms.org/fellow, will act as local mentors, as available. Additional resources for ETAs include strong English-teaching associations in country.

ETAs may also elect to register for a course at the “Lingua” school, a teacher-training center in Bishkek, to improve their teaching skills.


Housing arrangements will be made with the assistance of the Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan. Upon arrival, ETAs will stay in a hotel for 3-4 days before moving into an apartment or staying with a local family.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Gulzat Kochorova

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.