Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Grant Period

10 Months

Fulbright grants will begin between August 2019 and March 2020, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait City.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July 2019 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels and proposals in all disciplines will be considered. Ideal candidates should have a distinctive research project dealing with a subject that can be reasonably accomplished in ten months. Candidates with Arabic language fluency and with cross-cultural experience will find their research more effectively accomplished and their Fulbright experience enhanced. Candidates who present research projects showing specific knowledge of Kuwait, the Gulf, the Arab world, and Islam, for example, will have a better grasp of research possibilities.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: A proficient level of Arabic is required to conduct research. It is strongly recommended that candidates who want to study Arabic in Kuwait have a minimum of two years of prior Arabic study at a recognized institution at the time of application. Candidates who are not proficient in Arabic should be aware that English language offerings at universities are limited.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. In addition to the government-run Kuwait University (KU), private universities such as the American University of Kuwait (AUK) and the Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) may also be considered as host institutions. Moreover, there are a number of government agencies, quasi-governmental institutions, and civil society organizations that may be open to hosting Fulbright students. However, the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait makes the final arrangements in placing grantees at the appropriate institutions.

General Comments

Candidates should be prepared to live among local students and accept the conservative mores of Kuwaiti society. Compared to U.S. standards, opportunities for social life outside the university are limited.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Shaima Ebrahim

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.