Fulbright U.S. Student Program

South Korea

< Back to country

20 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

10 Months

Candidates should design projects that begin in August or September 2018.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: Korean language proficiency is not a requirement in the candidate selection process, but candidates with some knowledge of Korean are given preference. Korea specialists conducting dissertation research must have the necessary language skills. Applicants lacking a working knowledge of Korean must show that their proposals are feasible and, if selected, are expected to begin language study before arriving in Korea. Candidates without previous academic training or personal experience related to Korea should include intensive Korean language study in their proposals.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants should identify and contact appropriate host universities for their projects and include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. Research centers and institutes at leading universities frequently offer affiliation to U.S. students in the appropriate fields. Applicants are expected to establish the affiliation independently. Upon issuance of the grant, the Fulbright Commission in Korea (KAEC) will assist candidates in formalizing their affiliations.


  • Candidates with dual U.S.-Republic of Korea citizenship will not be considered.
  • Candidates currently residing in Korea (or those who will be living there during the 2017-2018 academic year) will not be considered.
  • Candidates who have already received their PhD degrees by the grant start date are not eligible.

Project Description

Fulbright grantees are charged with developing and executing independent research projects.  Projects must be relevant to or focus on Korean/Korean-American studies.  Applicants must be motivated, responsible, and show competence in autonomous work in order to successfully carry out their projects.

Visa Requirements/Dual Citizenship

Candidates holding dual citizenship with Korea will NOT be permitted to undertake Fulbright U.S. Student grants to Korea.

All U.S. Student Fulbrighters going to Korea MUST obtain an A-3 visa and enter the country on a U.S. passport.

In April 2010, the Republic of Korea passed legislation that allows dual citizenship, with differing rules for men and women. If you are Korean-American, you may have dual U.S.-ROK citizenship, and you should inquire with the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate prior to submitting a Fulbright application.

Individuals who do not or cannot renounce their Korean citizenship prior to submitting a Fulbright application are not eligible for a Fulbright grant to Korea.

Korean-Americans in the following circumstances may be considered by the Republic of Korea to be Korean citizens:

  • Korean-American individuals whose fathers or mothers were still Korean citizens at the time of their births
  • Individuals whose fathers were Korean nationals and were deceased at the time of the individual’s birth

Applicants who fall under any of the categories listed above should contact the Korean Embassy or nearest Korean Consulate immediately to learn more about these regulations and suggested procedures for citizenship renunciation. This does not apply to individuals who received American citizenship through adoption, as Korean citizenship is automatically renounced six months after American citizenship is granted.  

It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to determine whether they have dual citizenship and how it impacts their eligibility for a Fulbright grant. Candidates awarded Fulbright grants MUST obtain the A-3 visas prior to arrival in Korea.

If any individual is found to have dual citizenship at the time of or after the grant acceptance, the award offer will automatically be revoked.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Jai Ok Shim

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.