Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

5 Fulbright-Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation Awards for Graduate Studies and PhD Research in Science and Technology

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Fulbright Austria (Austrian-American Educational Commission) offers up to 5 Fulbright–Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation Awards for full-time research and/or study. These awards are generously funded by the Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation and intended for Ph.D. candidates in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines and related fields. Applications from highly qualified graduate students and recent undergraduates with strong project proposals in relevant fields will also be considered.

Grant Period

9 Months

October 1 to June 30, beginning with an orientation in Vienna in late September. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Ph.D. candidates, graduate students, and recent graduates will be considered. Fulbright Austria and the Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation review project proposals for their coherence and quality. They are particularly—but by no means exclusively—interested in proposals of bilateral or comparative relevance that enhance research collaboration between Austrian and American institutions. 

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Contingent upon project proposal.

Additional Information:

Fulbright Austria expects students to study German as part of their preparations for their stay in Austria to help fulfill the program’s bilateral mandate of promoting mutual understanding and to negotiate the challenges of everyday life. As a rule, university courses are taught in German, although an increasing number of courses are offered in English and English is the working language in many research facilities.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


All Fulbright recipients, including Ph.D. candidates, must be fully matriculated at accredited universities in Austria to facilitate tuition remission, health insurance, the use of libraries, archives, and labs, etc. Fulbright Austria facilitates university enrollment at the applicant's preferred university. Applicants should identify the individuals and institutions that will provide on-site guidance for their projects and include letters of affiliation from host institutions. Invitations are required for full-time research and study awards and should indicate how candidates will be anchored and supervised at host institutions. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Fulbright Austria facilitates university enrollment at the applicant's preferred university, and the Austrian government provides for the waiver of tuition fees at public universities. Fulbright Austria does not cover tuition costs for enrollment at private institutions of higher education or other programs of advanced study in Austria that do not waive tuition fees. 


Applicants proposing study or research in medicine or veterinary medicine will not be considered.

Special Application Instructions

Before applying, candidates should correspond with preferred institutions about availability of equipment and facilities and solicit letters of invitation. 


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Darrah Lustig

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.