< Back to country

76 English Teaching Assistant Awards – Expansion 2017-2018

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

With additional funding from the Brazilian government, the Brazil ETA Program is expanded for Program Year 2017-18 with 76 additional grants to be offered. A special open application period will be held from May 2 to July 14, 2017. The deadline is Friday, July 14 at5:00 pm Eastern Time. Please review the following information to determine if you are qualified for this program. You can start the application here. To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen and a bachelor’s degree by July 14, 2017 and cannot have lived outside of the U.S. for more than five of the last six years.  Be sure that you apply using the open 2017-18 application.

If you submitted an application in the fall 2016: Persons who applied for a Fulbright U.S. Student Program in the fall 2016 but did not receive a grant offer for 2017-18 are eligible to apply for this opportunity.  In this case, create a new application account in Embark with a different email address and complete the full application—respond to all questions, revise Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement essays as needed and upload, request new Reference Forms (2 are required for this competition), request a Foreign Language Evaluation in one of the required languages, and upload the most recent transcript(s) of all degree level course work.

You may apply for both the Fulbright ETA Expansion 2017-18 (February 2018) and any Fulbright U.S. Student Program for 2018-19. However, if you receive and accept the grant for 2017-18, you will not be eligible for the 2018-19 program. Note that the Fulbright U.S. Student Application 2018-19 is separate and distinct and, therefore, the same email address can be used for both.

Selection decisions will be made by the end of August 2017. Candidates must be available to begin their grant in February 2018.  Required post-selection documentation (except the visa) must be completed by November 1, 2017. The Brazilian visa process will begin by the end of the 2017 and may require the applicant’s presence in the U.S. prior to departure.

Grant Period

9 Months

9 months beginning February 2018.

Grant dates will correspond to the academic year in Brazil, usually from March to November 2018. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission. Attendance at the orientation is mandatory.

Please note that selected grantees may not be in Brazil for more than 3 cumulative months in the 12 months prior to the Grant Start.   Exceptions may be considered for in-country formal language study.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applicants should have some experience working in an educational environment and, specifically, with classroom teaching. Candidates with degrees in English, Applied Linguistics or Foreign Languages, AND certification or significant coursework in Teacher Education or TESOL, are strongly preferred. Some full-time ESL teaching experience and TESOL certification may substitute for a relevant degree. 

Because this is a student program, candidates with more than three years teaching experience or a Master's degree in TESOL and more than one year of teaching at the time of application may be considered overqualified and not eligible for this program.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Applicants should have intermediate skills in Portuguese or in other Romance language at the the time of application.   Advanced skills are recommended for when the grant begins, in order to settle in easily and communicate on a daily basis. A Foreign Language Evaluation completed by a college-level language instructor is required for the primary Romance language and must supported by a Language Self-Evaluation completed by the applicant. Candidates with Portuguese language beyond Basic are also required to submit a FLE from a college-level Portuguese language instructor.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

The Fulbright Commission attempts to assign at least two Fulbright ETAs to each participating Teacher's College at public universities throughout Brazil, where students attend four-year undergraduate programs to graduate as English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teachers.

The Fulbright Commission will match the grantee with the appropriate host institution. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the host institution and based on the profile of the selected candidate and the host institution's needs. Placement can be in any Brazilian city and requests for a specific location cannot be considered. ETA placements are determined in the late fall prior to the grant start.

Supplementary Project

Because teaching assistant responsibilities will be between 20-25 hours per week, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. Applicants should consider a project that they intend to pursue if awarded the grant and, since they will not know where they will be placed, these activities should be flexible respective to geographic location. For example, grantees may pursue a course of study, conduct research into topics or issues relative to Brazil, engage in specific volunteer activities, or a combination of these. Grantees may not necessarily be placed at an institution or in a location where they can effectively carry out the goals of their supplementary project. In these cases, the Fulbright Commission will discuss project alternatives with the grantee when the placement is made.

Dependents Comments

The grant does not provide financial or logistical support for dependents. Also, because ETAs are placed at universities throughout the country where limitations for family housing, schooling and/or child care may exist, it is not advisable for dependents to accompany grantees for the full grant term.


This award is co-sponsored by CAPES, the Brazilian Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education.


Dependent support is not available.

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Patricia Grijo

Additional Online Resources