Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

1 Fulbright/University of Leuven Master of European Studies Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

One grant will be given to an American to enroll in the International Master of European Studies: Transnational and Global Perspectives (MAES) at the University of Leuven (KUL) in Belgium. This one-year interdisciplinary program focuses on Europe as a continent of strong interactions across national boundaries and constant exchanges with the outside world. The award-holder will be exempt from tuition fees and will receive a monthly stipend to cover living expenses.

Grant Period

9 Months

The grant period is mid-September through mid-June. Fulbright Grantees will be required to arrive in Brussels for an orientation in mid-September, 2017.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

The Master in European Studies program admits holders of the following university degrees:

  • Bachelor of Political and Social Sciences, History, Arts, Law, Economics, Anthropology, Communication Studies, Theology, Education, Philosophy, European Studies;
  • Any Master degree in Human Sciences;
  • A Master degree in other disciplines, if the candidate has professional experience in the field of study of MAES

Applicants should have a strong academic background, a sound knowledge of European history and European institutions, demonstrated research skills, and familiarity with the basic principles of Economics and Law.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: No

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants must arrange their own affiliation with the University of Leuven by applying through the website of the Master of European Studies (see below). A letter of affiliation is not required by the time of the application deadline. If applicants can obtain letters of affiliation in advance of the application deadline, they should include this. If this is not possible at the time of application, applicants may provide a letter when awarded a grant.

Special Application Instructions

In your Embark on-line application, Question #22 Award Name please select Leuven European Studies from the drop down menu to be considered for this award.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.