Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

3 Master's Degree Program Awards: National Chengchi University Award in International Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies, or International Communications Studies

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
12 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Awards are available to pursue a full-time master's degree program in International Studies (IMPIS), Asia-Pacific Studies (IMAS), or International Communications Studies (IMICS) at National Chengchi University (NCCU). Programs are taught in English.

NCCU is a leading university in Taiwan, especially in the fields of Humanities, Social Sciences, Management, Politics, and International Affairs, and provides a top international environment to foreign students. NCCU has also been elected as the "Aim for the Top University Project" sponsored school of the Ministry of Education and is part of QS World Universities rankings as well.

The award is co-sponsored by the National Chengchi University.

Grant Period

12 Months

Grants must begin in September 2019, prior to the Fulbright Welcome Reception (usually the Friday after Labor Day).

The Grant is initially awarded for 12 months, and renewal for the second year is dependent upon the grantee's academic success with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) on a 4 scale. 

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidate must have received a Bachelor's degree prior to enrollment and intend to pursue a two-year master's degree. Strong academic credentials in the area of specialization is expected. A good capacity for studying and living in a cross-cultural setting is necessary. Candidates must specify to which program they are applying and will be evaluated against that cohort. 

Grantees cannot be accompanied by dependents. 

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

A working knowledge of Mandarin or Taiwanese is useful, but not required. Mandarin study in Taiwan is highly encouraged.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: No

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


No letter of affiliation is required upon application. Candidates must be accepted by both Fulbright commission in Taiwan and the university program. Once a Fulbright Finalist gains admission to a master's degree program, a copy of the admission letter must be provided to the commission.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

The grant provides recipients with full tuition support at National Chengchi University, student dormitory, round trip airfare, a monthly living allowance, and national health insurance as long as the candidate maintains satisfactory academic standards.


  • Candidates currently residing in Taiwan (or those who will be living in Taiwan during the 2018-2019 academic year) will not be considered.
  • Individuals with dual U.S.-Taiwanese citizenship or permanent residency are not eligible. 

Special Application Instructions

Applicants must select "NCU Int'l Studies (Masters)" in the Award Name field of the application.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.