Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

Fulbright Austria-Hungary Joint Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
6 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Fulbright Austria (the Austrian-American Educational Commission) collaborates with the Hungarian-American Fulbright Commission to provide graduate students in the arts and PhD candidates in the humanities and social sciences with the opportunity to conduct research on topics of regional or bilateral relevance in collaboration with Austrian and Hungarian specialists.

Grant Period

6 Months

6 months: roughly 3 months in Austria and 3 months in Hungary with negotiable starting dates. The project should be executed during the academic year.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidates are welcome to apply from all disciplines in the humanities and social sciences including but not limited to the arts, economics, ecology, geography, history, and political science, provided that project proposals focus on the territories of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1526-1918) or topics of bilateral Austrian-Hungarian or regional relevance (1918-present). Applicants should submit detailed descriptions of their research interests and include detailed project proposals.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: Language requirements are commensurate with the nature of the proposed project, which may be conducted in English, German, or Hungarian. Some knowledge of German and/or Hungarian is desirable, and advanced knowledge of German and/or Hungarian may be required, contingent upon the nature of the project.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applications must state intended institutional affiliations and include corresponding letters of invitation.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Fulbright Austria facilitates university enrollment at the applicant's preferred Austrian university, where the Austrian government also provides for the waiver of tuition fees. Fulbright Austria does not cover tuition costs for enrollment at private institutions of higher education or other programs of advanced study in Austria that do not waive tuition fees.

Special Application Instructions

In your Embark on-line application, Question #22 Award Name please select Austrian Hungarian Grant from the drop down menu to be considered for this award. You must select Austria for Country 1 and Hungary for Country 2.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Molly Roza

Additional Online Resources

Fulbright Austria website

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.