Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Bosnia & Herzegovina

< Back to country

2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin in October of the given calendar year.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Applications are accepted from candidates at all degree levels, but preference is given to graduate students who are interested in international education and educational advising. Preference will also be given to applicants in the fields of education and English, as well as the humanities and social sciences, with a particular focus in American studies. Previous teaching experience is recommended. Applicants must be native English-speakers.

Candidates are expected to be extremely adaptable and flexible. Living conditions and infrastructure in Bosnia and Herzegovina are improving. However, grantees should recognize that the country is still undergoing significant changes and transitions, and that medical care and other services are not up to U.S. or Western standards.

Candidates should be highly motivated and demonstrate excellence through academic record, leadership potential, and qualifying educational and professional experiences. They are expected to serve as responsible representatives of their home country, to successfully undertake the Fulbright ETA fellowship, and to adjust to life in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Candidates are encouraged to submit a thoughtful, well written, concise, and compelling application that illustrates qualifications, leadership, impact potential, and preparedness for English Teaching Assistantship in Bosnia and Herzegovina. 

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian language proficiency is not required, but helpful. Some study of Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. Students may be provided with funding to cover language instruction during their grant period.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Other Educational Institution

Grantees are to be placed at a secondary school, pedagogical institue or university faculty. Positions combine teaching at least 10 hours per week and additional time for educational advising. The educational advising responsibilities will include individual and group advising and may include outreach. The remaining time will be reserved for an independent study/research project. Applicants should submit detailed descriptions of their study or career interests, together with a feasible project. Details of study or research projects will be subject to direct communication between selected candidates and designated departments. This project should not conflict with assigned teaching and advising responsibilities.

Visa Requirements

U.S. grantees, as well as all accompanying dependents, regardless of age, must register with the local police within 24 hours of receiving an entry stamp at a border crossing or airport, and must apply for temporary residence status as soon as possible and within three to four weeks of arrival in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Embassy provides assistance with the process, but the grantee himself/herself and the host institution point of contact are responsible for sponsoring the grantee for the residence permit.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Elizabeta Delalic

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.