Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

17 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
8 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

8 Months

Grant dates correspond to the academic year in Argentina, which runs mid-March to mid-November 2020. The grant period starts with an orientation organized by the Fulbright Commission.  Attendance at this orientation program is required for all English Teaching Assistants (ETAs).

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Candidates with degrees in English, Spanish, Education, TEFL or Applied Linguistics, with some experience teaching or tutoring, are preferred. Other fields will be considered if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy.

Candidates with more than three years of teaching experience or a Master's degree in TESOL at the time of application may be considered overqualified and not eligible for this program. 

Successful candidates must be articulate English speakers with native fluency.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is required.

Placement Type

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees will be assigned to English teacher training colleges or universities in the Argentine provinces. Teacher training colleges, which train EFL teachers, may or may not be affiliated with a university; they are part of the Argentine system of higher education (Institutos terciarios). In order to graduate as EFL teachers, students attend four-year undergraduate programs. ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, and will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. The Fulbright Commission and its local partner institutions will match selected grantees with an appropriate host institution. Assignments are based both on the academic profile of the candidates and the host institutions' needs.

Supplementary project

English Teaching Assistant responsibilities will not exceed 20 hours per week. Grantees are expected to engage in projects or other activities related to their academic interests during the period of their grants. Applicants must be flexible regarding their side project since they will not receive final notice of placement until November 2019. Grantees may pursue a course of study, conduct research on topics related to Argentina, engage in specific volunteer work, or a combination thereof.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Melina Ginszparg

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.