Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

3 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

10 Months

The grant period begins in August and ends in June. Grantees are expected to attend a two-day orientation in Oslo in mid-late August and a separate one-day program on the Norwegian education system.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Well-qualified candidates at all graduate degree levels and all fields of study will be considered. However, preference will be given to applicants in English language and American studies, social sciences, humanities, and those who plan to pursue a career in education. Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in teaching, an ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, and the maturity, flexibility, and resourcefulness necessary for doing well in a foreign educational environment.

Applicants who are recommended for final consideration may be contacted by the U.S.-Norway Fulbright Foundation to set up a brief online or telephone interview.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Norwegian language proficiency is not required.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees will be placed at a Norwegian secondary school and a local university. Each host institution will tailor the assistantship to its English language teaching needs, but also try to accommodate the grantee’s background, academic interests, and abilities.

Teaching assistant activities may include:

  1. helping students with written English, especially academic writing at the university level;
  2. providing small group tutorials;
  3. serving as a resource person in conversation groups; and,
  4. giving presentations related to American studies in English classes or school/civic organizations.

Applicants should submit descriptions of their study and/or career interests.


Dual U.S./Norwegian citizens are not eligible for consideration.

In addition, candidates already living in Norway, including students who have commenced their studies at a Norwegian university, are not eligible for consideration.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.