Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

24 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

9 months.

Grants will begin on September 15, 2019.

Initiating the award at a later date in 2019-2020 will be considered only in extraordinary circumstances. 

Attendance at the Madrid orientation in early/mid September is mandatory.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Up to 24 grants are available.

Advanced graduate students, doctoral candidates, and those with previous research experience will be given priority. Graduating seniors will also be considered. Applicants must be mature and self-motivated individuals who are capable of working independently with little supervision. Awards are mainly offered for independent graduate research in areas of mutual U.S./Spanish interest. Engaging in university coursework may be considered, but not as the sole purpose of the project; university fees are not covered by the grant benefits. Course listings may not be confirmed until after universities begin and enrollment of foreign students is not automatic. Projects dealing with contemporary issues are especially encouraged.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Intermediate

Additional Information: Spanish language proficiency is strongly recommended. A basic understanding of Catalan, Gallego or Basque is recommended for general research or study in the respective regions prior to beginning the grant. Please make sure to include the Language Self-Evaluation and Foreign Language Evaluation in your Embark Online Application.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliation with higher education or research institutions in Spain. Letter/s of affiliation should be included with all applications.

For applicants in the Creative and Performing Arts, letters of affiliation must be from an academic adviser affiliated with a host institution.

Research centers and universities can be found at:



Additionally, through the following link you can check the Centers and Units of Excellence accredited by the Spanish Government

These lists are not exhaustive. Other institutions not listed can still be considered as potential hosts.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

University fees are not covered by the grant benefits.


Candidates with dual U.S./Spanish citizenship, or candidates residing in Spain at the time of application or any time thereafter, are not eligible for a Fulbright grant in Spain.

Special Application Instructions

Applicants must submit a copy of their Statements of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement in both Spanish and English. When preparing these statements offline in a Word document, the Spanish language version should be entered so that each statement will consist of the English version followed by the Spanish version. The Word document can then be uploaded on the appropriate page of the Embark Online Application.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Academic Advising Office

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.