Fulbright U.S. Student Program

United Kingdom

< Back to country

2 Fulbright/Open Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

Applicants may pursue independent post-BA-level research, or undertake a graduate degree program at any accredited academic institution. Applicants should only select an Open Award if:

  • They are proposing an independent research project.
  • Their proposed institutional affiliation is not one of the Partnership Institutions below; or if their proposal is not eligible for consideration under the parameters of one of the Partnership Awards listed below (for example the Partnership Award may only be for PhD candidates and/or within a specific discipline, etc.)

These ‘Open’ awards are the Commission’s most competitive awards and prospective applicants should consider carefully all award categories before choosing to which to apply. These awards are also referred to as the All-Disciplines awards.

Grant Period

9 Months

9 – 12 months, depending on the length of the academic year. 

All grantees to the UK attend a 3-day orientation program on arrival in September, a 4-day Fulbright Forum in January and a farewell event, the Fulbright ‘End-cap’ weekend in June/July.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

The Commission is seeking applicants who demonstrate:

  • Rigor in scholarly enquiry and academic or professional excellence;
  • Strong reasons for wishing to pursue the proposed project in the UK and at a particular institution;
  • A desire to gain a better understanding of the peoples and cultures of their host country;
  • Commitment to the community through volunteer and extra-curricular activities;
  • Flexibility and dynamism necessary for active involvement in the host country.

The Commission particularly invites more applicants from media and the creative arts and encourages all applicants to review its current Fulbrighters on its website at http://www.fulbright.org.uk.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants can propose an affiliation at any UK institution in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Applicants are responsible for arranging their own affiliations and in the case of those proposing graduate degree programs, must apply for admission according to the relevant university’s admissions procedures. For applicants proposing independent research projects, letters of affiliation should be included in your application. For those proposing to complete a graduate degree program, applicants are not expected to have a letter of admission/affiliation at time of application, but awards are made conditional upon acceptance by the chosen institution before arrival.

Before beginning their application, applicants are encouraged to take time to research the best possible place to pursue their chosen course of study, taking into consideration the faculty, achievements, publications and research of the relevant department in a number of institutions, as well as their locations. Applicants are requested to propose only one affiliated institution in their proposal.


The following applicants are ineligible for consideration: applicants who are currently resident in or who have extensive previous experience in the UK; who hold a Ph.D. at the time the grant is to begin; and applicants whose proposals are to complete any part of a medical degree, including internships or residencies.

Special Application Instructions

In your Embark on-line application, Question #22 please select the specific award you are applying for from the drop down menu.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.