Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Czech Republic

< Back to country

30 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

10 Months

Grants will begin September 1 and end June 30.

The Fulbright Commission organizes a 3-day orientation for ETAs at the end of August, focused on the education system in the Czech Republic; a 4-day orientation in mid-September for all Fulbrighters; and a mid-year conference in early February. Attendance at these events is required.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications are welcome from well-rounded, articulate individuals with the skills and motivation needed to assist in teaching English language to Czech students at all pre-university levels.

Previous teaching experience is an advantage. Positions require teaching approximately 20 hours per week. The Fulbright Commission in Prague invites applicants to discuss the feasibility of supplementary projects through email.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Czech language proficiency is not required. Some study of Czech prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. Applicants must be articulate native speakers of English.

Placement Type

Secondary School

Grantees will be placed as assistant-teachers in English classes at all types of Czech secondary schools corresponding to their project priorities. Grantees will be placed outside of Prague. The Commission and the host institution will help to arrange housing.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Additional Online Resources

Blog from previous ETAs

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.