Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The grant period is early September through late May.

There will be a mandatory in-country orientation at the beginning of the grant period.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Candidates at all degree levels are accepted, but those conducting research for a Ph.D. are preferred. Applications will be considered from well-qualified students in all fields. Interdisciplinary studies and projects in conflict resolution are particularly welcome. A preference will be given to projects that involve research related to both Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot communities.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: No Greek or Turkish skills are required unless they are required to carry out your project. Some study of Greek or Turkish prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community. Please be aware that the Cypriot dialect is quite different from mainland Greek and Turkish.  Grantees should be familiar with the political situation in Cyprus and sensitivities between the two communities in planning their grant activities, even when the proposed research project may not seem to involve politics.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are required to secure an affiliation with a host institution and include a letter of affiliation with their application.  Affiliations are a requirement for American researchers to successfully secure a researcher visa in Cyprus.  The Embassy can provide assistance, but the host institution must be approved by the local Research Promotion Foundation and thus be able to issue Hosting Agreements.  The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics, the Agricultural Research Institute (ARI), the Cyprus American Archaeological Research Institute (CAARI), the Cyprus Museum, the University of Cyprus, the European University, and the University of Nicosia have all successfully served as hosts for grantees.  Applicants are asked to clarify directly with the Fulbright Program Coordinator at the Embassy if an affiliation is feasible. 

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

Tuition fees are not covered by this grant.


Candidates currently residing in Cyprus are not eligible.

Candidates with dual U.S.-Cypriot citizenship are given second priority.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Dr. Sondra Sainsbury

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.