Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

3 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides open grants for individually designed study/research projects. Up to 3 awards per academic year are open to conduct research in Bulgaria.

Grant Period

9 Months

Awards are for 8 to 9 months. Grantees are strongly encouraged to arrive in country by September 1 to take part in the 10-day orientation for US grantees.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Well-qualified candidates will be considered at all degree levels (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral) and in all fields. Preference is usually given to those who have not previously held a Fulbright grant. However, those who may have held an English Teaching Assistant (ETA) award may apply for a study/research grant, provided that at least 2 years have elapsed from the end of their ETA period, and they continue to meet all other eligibility requirements. Previous experience in Bulgaria is not considered a disadvantage.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Bulgarian language proficiency should be commensurate with the proposed project. The Bulgarian-American Fulbright Commission provides a one-time allowance of US$500 for Bulgarian language training during the grant period.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants are encouraged to arrange affiliations and submit letters of invitation in their application. It is advisable that candidates consult the Bulgarian Fulbright Commission about affiliation as final placements are coordinated by the Commission, which can also assist in establishing contacts at appropriate institutions. Affiliation is acceptable with academic and research institutions, NGOs, media, libraries, museums, cultural institutions, and governmental organizations.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition

If courses are available in the relevant field at Bulgarian academic institutions, the Bulgarian-American Fulbright Commission may cover tuition fees upon approval by the Commission Board.


  • Applicants must be U.S. citizens at the time of application. Dual citizens (American and Bulgarian or other European citizenship) are accepted.
  • Applicants must be in good health.
  • Previous experience in Bulgaria is not considered a disadvantage.

Grant Benefits

The standard grant benefits include:

  • monthly stipend – $1,000 per month
  • travel and relocation allowance to cover round-trip international travel – $3,000
  • research, book and incidentals allowance – $500
  • Bulgarian language training allowance – $500
  • health benefit plan for grantees only


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Rada Kaneva

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.