Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Bosnia & Herzegovina

< Back to country

1 Open Study/Research Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Award Profile

This program provides grants to conduct non-degree, full-time research at the graduate level at Bosnian and Herzegovinian institutions of higher education for a maximum of nine months.

Grant Period

9 Months

Grants will begin in October of the given calendar year.

Pre-Departure Orientation


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile

Applications are accepted from candidates at all degree levels and in all fields.

Grantees are expected to be extremely adaptable and flexible. Living conditions and infrastructure in Bosnia and Herzegovina are improving. However, grantees should recognize that the country is still undergoing significant changes and transitions, and that medical care and other services are not up to U.S. or Western standards.

Candidates should be highly motivated and demonstrate excellence through academic record, leadership potential, and qualifying educational and professional experiences. They are expected to serve as responsible representatives of their home country, to successfully undertake full-time research at the graduate level, and to adjust to life in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Candidates are encouraged to submit a thoughtful, well written, concise, and compelling application that illustrates qualifications, leadership, impact potential, and preparedness for study in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Research proposals should reflect enduring concerns, emphasize basic subjects, demonstrate sound methodology, and avoid politicization of scholarly inquiry. Proposed projects will be evaluated for goals and feasibility.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Recommended - Novice

Additional Information: Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian proficiency is recommended, but not required depending on the nature of the project. However, applicants should demonstrate that they will have language skills commensurate with the project by the beginning of the grant. If a project can be carried out in English, applicants without these language skills should include plans for language study in their proposals and are encouraged to improve their language skills concurrent with their research after arriving in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Candidates are responsible for securing their own affiliations. Preliminary contacts and letters of support from host institutions are preferred, but are not required, at the time of application.

U.S. Visiting Student Researcher participants should affiliate with accredited B-H institutions of higher education and pursue academic research at the graduate level in their fields of study. They may not undertake academic classes or hold on-campus work authorization. Grantees advance their academic work, establish professional contacts in their academic fields, gain international experience, personal enrichment, and help promote mutual understanding between the United States and BiH.

The Embassy can assist participants with affiliations at the most appropriate B-H institutions based on their research goals and the Fulbright program’s overall objectives and requirements.

Visa Requirements

U.S. grantees, as well as all accompanying dependents, regardless of age, must register with the local police within 24 hours of receiving an entry stamp at a border crossing or airport, and must apply for temporary residence status within three to four weeks of arrival in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Embassy provides assistance the process, but the grantee himself/herself and the host institution are responsible for sponsoring the grantee for the residence permit. Thus, it is imperative that all candidates secure a commitment by an academic or other institution to sponsor the candidate for temporary residence.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Elizabeta Delalic

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.