Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

1 Fulbright-IFK Junior Fellowship

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Award Profile

The IFK Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften | Kunstuniversitaet Linz in Wien (IFK International Research Center for Cultural Studies | University of Art and Design Linz in Vienna) collaborates with Fulbright Austria (the Austrian-American Educational Commission) to offer 1 award for a Fulbright-IFK Junior Fellow in Cultural Studies.

This award is specifically designed for U.S. Ph.D. candidates in cultural studies/ humanities, whose field of specialization is thematically related to Austrian and Central European traditions or to the IFK’s present research focus.

Fulbright-IFK Junior Fellows have an opportunity to work with other IFK Fellows and to participate in IFK seminars, workshops, and symposia. The IFK provides them with access to a work station with a computer, e-mail, and an internet connection on its premises.

Grant Period

9 Months

October 1 to June 30, beginning with an orientation in Vienna in late September.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Ph.D. candidates in cultural studies whose field of specialization is thematically related to Viennese, Austrian, and Central European traditions and/or the IFK's interest in the promotion of interdisciplinary and comparative cultural studies and the humanities are welcome to apply.

Applicants for Fulbright-IFK awards will also be considered simultaneously as candidates for traditional Fulbright student awards.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Advanced

Additional Information:

German language proficiency is necessary to fulfill the Fulbright Program's bilateral mandate of promoting mutual understanding, to negotiate the challenges of everyday life, and to fulfill university admission requirements. Advanced proficiency is essential to facilitate participation in the IFK’s array of colloquia and other activities for Junior Fellows; thus, all applicants must submit "Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation" and "Form 8: A Foreign Language Evaluation by a qualified language instructor." Both forms are available on the Fulbright on-line application system.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Prospective applicants are encouraged to identify appropriate individuals at the IFK to provide on-site guidance.

Special Application Instructions

In your Fulbright on-line application, Question #22 Award Name, please select IFK Award from the drop-down menu to be considered for this award.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Darrah Lustig

Additional Online Resources

IFK website

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.