Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Award Profile

We are not accepting U.S. Student and ETA applications to Venezuela at this time.  Applicants should check with IIE periodically regarding the status of the Fulbright U.S. Student and ETA Programs to Venezuela. 

Grant Period

9 Months

Fulbright grantees have some flexibility in terms of start dates, but most grantees begin in early September. The latest possible start date is March 31, 2020.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to Venezuela are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in June or July.

Candidate Profile

Graduate students at the MA or Ph.D. levels pursuing all disciplines are welcome to apply, and fields of study related to law/administration of justice, education/civic education, economics, environment/ecology, physical and biological sciences, history, social communication/mass media, international relations and women’s studies are especially encouraged to apply. Candidates in Art-related fields are also encouraged to apply.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant on Applicant Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Applicants should provide evidence of contacts with relevant organizations. The Public Affairs Section at the U.S. Embassy in Caracas cannot arrange final affiliations, but can assist grantees with the process.

Special Note for Study/Research Applicants

In recent years, several grantees were unable to obtain a courtesy visa in time to carry out their grants in Venezuela. If this occurs, grant offers may be withdrawn.  In limited cases, selected grantees may be able to transfer their projects to another country in the Western Hemisphere. Therefore, applicants to Venezuela should be flexible and open to changes in the event of visa complications.

Field of Study Restrictions

Projects in: Anthropology; Ethnobotany; border issues; or administration of justice related to drug trafficking will not be considered.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Gabriela Febres-Rivas

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.