Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

6 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Grant periods are March to mid-December 2020 (9 months). The grant period starts with a mandatory 3-day orientation in Peru organized by the Fulbright Commission.

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile

Applications from candidates with a demonstrated interest in working in an educational environment. Candidates with degrees in English, Spanish, Education, or TEFL/applied linguistics with some experience teaching or tutoring are preferred. Other fields will be seriously considered if combined with teaching experience and/or coursework in pedagogy. Please note: Because this is a student program, candidates with more than three years of teaching experience or a Master’s degree in TESOL at the time of application may be considered overqualified and not eligible for this program.

Accepted Degree Levels



Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college-level Spanish language instructor is required.

Successful candidates must be articulate English speakers with native fluency.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Grantees will be assigned to teaching assistantship positions at English Teacher Training Colleges, public high schools, or with U.S./Peru Binational Centers in Lima or in the Peruvian provinces. The colleges, which train ESL teachers, may or may not be affiliated with a university. However, they are part of the Peruvian System of Higher Education. ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, but will not be responsible for teaching entire courses. The Fulbright Commission will match the grantee with the appropriate host institution. Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the Fulbright Commission and the host institution and based on the academic profile of the selected candidate and the host institution’s needs. In these cases, the Commission will discuss project alternatives with the grantee when the placement is made.

Supplementary Project

English Teaching Assistants responsibilities will be up to 25 hours per week; therefore, grantees are expected to engage in other activities related to their personal, career, and/or educational interests. Applicants should consider a project that they would pursue if awarded the grant. Applicants should keep in mind that these activities should be flexible respective to geographic location, since they will not know where they will be placed. For example, ETAs may pursue a course of study, conduct research into topics or issues relative to Peru, engage in specific volunteer activities, or a combination of these activities.


Dependent support is not available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Diana Costa

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.