Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

5 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
No Pre-Departure Orientation
Grant Period

9 Months

Grantees should plan to begin their grants in early August 2019; however, if required by the nature of the project, consideration will be given to alternate start dates. The latest possible start date is March 31, 2020.  The grant period begins with a mandatory 2-day orientation arranged by the Fulbright Commission

Pre-Departure Orientation

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Higher level proficiency may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant on Applicant Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation by a college-level Spanish language instructor is required.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


All grantees must be affiliated with a Peruvian organization. This may be a university or government or private organization, including NGOs. Students should initiate affiliation arrangements prior to submitting their applications. The Fulbright Commission in Peru will give preference to applicants with established affiliations at the time of application.

Affiliations must be finalized before travel to Peru in order to obtain the appropriate visas, but this can be done between the issuance of a grant and travel to the country.

Grant Purpose Considerations

Grantees may carry out research, take university courses, or carry out practical training in internships. Peru offers many opportunities, and Peruvian scholars are receptive and cordial. The Commission considers studies of economic development, environmental conservation, and education to be topics of particular interest.

The Fulbright Commission in Peru does not approve grants to work in zones declared “emergency zones” by the Peruvian government.

Border disputes, crime, and the drug trade are considered sensitive issues.  Applicants proposing projects on these topics must demonstrate a clear understanding of and experience with research in these areas.

Research Clearance

Grantees who plan to work in nature reserves and archaeological sites are required to have government permits. Permits take up to six months to process, so recommended candidates may need to begin the process prior to notification of final selection. Candidates and grantees must coordinate the permit process with their proposed host affiliation.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Diana Costa

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.