Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
10 Months
Award Profile

Applications are sought in all appropriate disciplines, but applications in the following disciplines are preferred: business entrepreneurship and export development, agronomy and sustainable agriculture, engineering, computer science, environmental sciences and biotechnology, public administration, public accountability, public health, law enforcement management and other social sciences.

Grant Period

10 Months

The academic year runs February through December with summer holidays from mid-December until early February. Universities and research centers are usually closed for part of this period. Two-week winter vacations usually take place in July. Candidates must take this into consideration when proposing a timeline for their projects.  

The latest possible start date is March 31, 2020.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of the grant, all grantees to Paraguay are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in June or July.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Required - Intermediate

Additional Information: Higher level proficiency in Spanish may be necessary depending on the requirements of the proposed project. Guarani is required if necessary for research projects. Applicants should discuss plans for language study between time of application and the commencement of the grant on Applicant Form 7: Language Self-Evaluation. A Foreign Language Evaluation (FLE) by a college level Spanish language instructor is also required. An FLE for Guarani should be submitted if the candidate possesses skills beyond Basic.

Fulbright Proposal Types

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Candidates must establish contact with local sponsors before submitting applications. Proposals that demonstrate such contacts and/or guaranteed institutional support in Paraguay will be given preference.

Applicants seeking assistance with local contacts may contact the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Asuncion. Inquiries may be directed to Jazmin Ramirez


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Jazmin Ramirez

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.