Fulbright U.S. Student Program


< Back to country

English Teaching Assistant Award

Accepted Degree Levels
Grant Period
9 Months
Grant Period

9 Months

The academic year begins in January and ends in November. Kenyan schools close for holidays in April, August and November. A mandatory in-country group orientation will be provided by the U.S. Embassy's Public Affairs Section.

Pre-Departure Orientation


As a condition of their grants, all grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation during the summer of 2019.

Candidate Profile

Graduating seniors or graduate students with an undergraduate degree in English or Education, who have experience teaching or tutoring are preferred. Candidates with the ability to incorporate or organize extracurricular activities–such as sports, arts, and debate–are encouraged to apply. Candidates with experience in life skills, guidance and counseling, and other practical skills such as home economics, will have an added advantage.

Accepted Degree Levels




Foreign Language Proficiency

Not Required

Additional Information: Swahili and English are the official languages in Kenya. A working knowledge of Swahili is necessary if placed in the Coastal region. Candidates interested in learning African languages, e.g., Kiswahili, and Kenyan culture and history are encouraged to apply.

Placement Type

Secondary School

University/Post-Secondary Institution

Placement will be made by the U.S. Embassy in Kenya, and will be at the secondary or college undergraduate level, with outreach to schools that have received sponsorship under other U.S. government programs.

Nature of Assignment

Approximately 20 hours per week assisting lecturers in their classrooms, plus requisite class preparation time and school-related activities will be expected. ETAs may assist in a variety of academic formats, from one-on-one tutoring to co-teaching large groups to improve the English academic reading and writing skills of secondary school students for whom English is the medium of instruction at school. They will also participate in visits, discussions, experimental programs, essay contests and debates. Whereas ETAs will be assigned as language-learning assistants, and will not be responsible for teaching entire courses, some institutions have more needs and ETAs placed there may find themselves assigned more responsibility than they may have expected.


The U.S. Embassy will work with host institutions to assist ETAs in identifying and securing housing.


Dependent support is available

Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Website


Fulbright Commission/U.S. Embassy Contact

Ken Wakia

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.