Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

5 Fulbright Study/Research Grants


A working knowledge of Vietnamese is recommended,  but not required. Those without Vietnamese language skills should include plans for Vietnamese language study in their proposals and must study Vietnamese concurrent with their research after arriving in Vietnam.

Grant period:

10 months. Grantees must begin their grants in September 2014 or January 2015 in order to attend a mandatory in-country orientation. The exact start date is subject to agreement with the host institution and the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.


Candidates currently residing in Vietnam (or those who will be living there during the 2013-2014 academic year) will not be considered.


Candidates will affiliate with Vietnamese universities. It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. Grantees are encouraged to give back to their host institutions by assisting with English language training for faculty members and/or conducting professional seminars. Final affiliation arrangements will be made in cooperation with the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.

15 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships


No Vietnamese language skills are required. All instruction is in English. All candidates should plan to incorporate Vietnamese language study into their grant terms.

Grant period:

10 months. Grants begin with a 1-month in-country orientation that starts in August 2014.


Candidates currently residing in Vietnam (or those who will be living there during the 2013-2014 academic year) will not be considered.

Candidate profile :

Applicants should be mature, articulate graduating seniors and Master’s-level students who are committed to working and living in a Vietnamese university/community college setting.  Applicants must be native English-speakers. No previous teaching experience is required.

Nature of assignment:

Grantees will work up to 30 hours per week, including 16 hours of teaching,  listening and speaking to credited students. The other 14 hours will be for organizing language-related cross-cultural student activities, plus preparation time. The mix of activities will vary from school to school depending on the needs of the school and the assistant’s background and qualifications.

Independent study:

Applicants should not plan an independent study or research project. English Teaching Assistantships are not study/research awards, and teaching-related activities take most of the grantees’ time. The Statement of Grant Purpose should focus on why the applicant wishes to participate in the program in Vietnam and how he/she will make it a memorable cultural experience.


The Fulbright Program in Vietnam will arrange affiliations for all candidates and will inform the ETA's of their placements once they have been finalized.


Housing arrangements will be made by the host institutions.


ETAs may not be accompanied by dependents.


Host institutions will apply for visas on behalf of the ETA's. They will be responsible for requesting the initial visas and any necessary visa extensions in Vietnam. The ETA's are responsible for any application fees when applying for the visas in the U.S. Please note that ETA's are required to bring with them valid criminal background checks from their local police and notarized copies of their university diplomas as part of the process of obtaining work permits in Vietnam.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.