Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Grant Period:

10 months

The academic year begins in September and ends in June, including a winter break.

Pre-Departure Orientation:


Grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in June 2017 as a condition of their grant.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Recommended - Intermediate
2 years of college-level study, or the equivalent, prior to commencing the grant

Proficiency in Russian or Uzbek language is recommended and may be required. Language proficiency commensurate with the nature of the proposed project is expected prior to commencing the grant.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is preferred that applicants arrange an affiliation or indicate preferences for affiliation in their applications. When applicants do not indicate a host institution preference, the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent will seek the most appropriate placements.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition:

Grantees wishing to be placed at the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan should be aware of a requirement to pay for tuition. According to the Cabinet Of Ministers resolution foreign citizens must pay tuition to study or intern at the Academy of Sciences, which currently charges $3,000 for a full year. U.S. Embassy in Tashkent recommends an alternate placement at higher education institutions under the Ministry of Higher Education of Uzbekistan, but if the student insists on being placed at the Academy, the embassy may attempt to work with authorities again in order to waive the tuition. 

Research Clearance and Visa Information:

Uzbekistan applicants should keep in mind that clearance from the Republic of Uzbekistan is required for all Fulbright assignments, which has been difficult to obtain in recent years despite U.S. Embassy efforts to obtain acceptances and placements through high-level discussions with the host government. Applicants should consider submitting a proposal that includes teaching English language courses in addition to their research in other topics.

Projects regarding subjects that are socially, culturally, or politically sensitive may be denied clearance. The U.S. Embassy in Tashkent applies for all necessary clearances. As the clearance process can take several months or more, interested applicants should contact the Embassy well in advance of the application deadline.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.