Fulbright U.S. Student Program

United Arab Emirates

Select award for detailed information

Open Study/Research Award

Grant Period:

10 months

Fulbrighters should expect to arrive no later than September 2017. 

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July 2017 as a condition of their grants.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Recommended - Intermediate
2 years of college-level study, or the equivalent, prior to commencing the grant

Additional Information: A level of proficiency in Arabic sufficient to carry out the proposed research is required. Most courses at UAE University are now taught in English, except Arabic, Shari’a and certain law courses.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


The official placement for Fulbright grantees is usually the UAE University, where they may be affiliated with any of the University’s faculties and departments. However, Fulbright grantees may be affiliated with other academic institutions instead. (Recent placements have included the University of Sharjah, Masdar Institute, and Petroleum Institute). It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. The U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi makes the final arrangements in placing grantees at the appropriate academic institutions.

Research Clearance:

Research clearance is assumed with university acceptance of the grantee.

Specific Considerations:

The cost of living can be extremely high in the UAE.  UAEU provides dormitory style housing in Al Ain for students affiliated with UAEU-Al Ain.  Housing specifically can be exorbitant as new units are generally aimed at the luxury market, making affordable rental units hard to find.  U.S. Fulbright students who plan to have dependents accompany them for the duration of their grants should be prepared to find housing off-campus, as on-campus family units are not available.  They should also budget accordingly, as the Fulbright Program provides a modest dependent allowance.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.