Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

10 Fulbright Study/Research Grants


Turkish language ability commensurate with the project is needed. Students who wish to attend lectures and/or make use of library facilities should have some degree of proficiency in Turkish. Instruction in the universities is in Turkish. However, most private and some of the state-funded universities use English as the medium of instruction.

Grant period:

9 months, mid-September through late June.


Applicants are encouraged to arrange affiliation and submit letters of invitation. Otherwise, applicants should state their preferences and reasons for placements at a particular institution if an invitation is not available. Final affiliation will be arranged by the Higher Education Council in Turkey with universities, and under professors, close to their fields of study. It is important that proposals be as detailed as possible.

80 Fulbright-YOK English Teaching Assistantships


Applicants must be native English-speakers. Knowledge of basic Turkish is desirable,  but not required. Knowledge and experience in teaching English is helpful.

Grant period:

9 months, mid-September to June. Grantees are expected to attend an orientation in Ankara in late August.

Candidate profile:

Applications will be accepted from adventurous, well-rounded candidates at all degree levels, irrespective of field of study, with the initiative to assist in teaching English to students in the new universities being set up by the Turkish Higher Education Council (YÖK) throughout the country. Preference will be given to graduating seniors in the humanities, social sciences, English language and American studies.

Previous teaching experience is helpful, but not required. Successful candidates will be able to lead classes with minimal guidance and will serve as cultural interpreters of the United States for their Turkish students and colleagues.

Applicants should submit descriptions of their study and/or career interests. Research proposals are not required; however, applicants may propose small research projects that will not conflict with assigned classroom responsibilities. Candidates should indicate whether they are interested in taking Turkish lessons during their assignment.

Nature of assignment:

ETAs will be placed in new universities throughout Turkey. ETAs will spend approximately 20 hours per week teaching English (with a focus on speaking/listening skills) and will need to spend a roughly equivalent amount of time preparing for class and in extra-curricular activities. These will vary, depending on the school’s needs and the particular ETA’s personal interests.

Some universities are in locations that are remote even by Turkish standards.  ETAs will occasionally be the first Americans that their hosts have interacted with in person.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.