Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

5 Fulbright Study/Research Grants


A working knowledge of Mandarin or Taiwanese is strongly encouraged, but not required. If applicants plan to conduct dissertation research in Traditional Chinese studies, they must have the necessary language skills.

Grant period:

10 months, beginning in September.

Candidate profile :

Master's and Ph.D. students are preferred, but graduating seniors and recent graduates will be considered. Applicants are welcome in all fields of study. Candidates must be willing and able to work with a high degree of independence.

Ineligibility :

Candidates currently residing in Taiwan (or those who will be living there during the 2013-2014 academic year) will not be considered.

Dual U.S.-Taiwanese citizens will not be considered.

Applicants with completed doctorates at the time of the start of the award will not be considered


It is required that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. 

Special opportunity for research:

If the research project requires it and the Fulbright Commission approves, up to one-fifth of the total grant period may be spent in mainland China with unsuspended maintenance.


An additional maintenance allowance for accompanying spouse and up to two children will be provided, as well as a direct round-trip economy-class air ticket for one principal accompanying dependent, and an additional baggage allowance for one dependent.

Additional information:

The following sources may be of use:
 Fulbright Taiwan (FSE): http://www.fulbright.org.tw

 List of Universities and Colleges: http://english.moe.gov.tw/public/Attachment/18211281771.xls

- Academia Sinica: http://www.sinica.edu.tw/main_e.shtml

- National Palace Museum: http://www.npm.gov.tw/en/home.htm

- National Central Library: http://www.ncl.edu.tw/mp.asp?mp=5

- National Health Research Institute: http://www.English.nhri.org.tw/NHRI_WEB/nhri.org.tw/NHRI_WEB/nhriw001Action.do

- Public Television Service Foundation: http://www.pts.org.tw

- Chinese Language Centers: http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=9693&CtNode=417&mp=1

47 Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships


No Chinese language skills are required. All classroom instruction is in English.

Grant period:

11 months. All grantees must begin their grants on August 1, 2014 in order to attend a four-week orientation program. The school year is from September through June.

Candidate profile :

Graduating seniors, recent graduates, and Master's candidates who are interested in assisting local English teachers at elementary or junior high schools in Taiwan will be considered. Education majors are especially encouraged to apply, but applicants from all majors are welcome. Applicants must be native English-speakers and need to be adaptable, flexible, independent, and to enjoy working with children. Teaching experience is preferred, but not required.


Candidates currently residing in Taiwan (or those who will be living there during the 2013-2014 academic year) will not be considered.

Dual U.S.-Taiwanese citizens will not be considered.

Nature of assignment:

English Teaching Assistants (ETAS) are placed full-time in one or more elementary schools or junior high schools, assisting local English teachers. A few may teach independently. They are  in-school 35 hours per week, although only about 20 hours are actually spent in the classroom. Other work can include: consulting with teachers on American cultural issues and assisting in the editing or writing of educational materials for English teaching. ETAs are placed in schools located in Yilan County in northern Taiwan, in Kaohsiung City in southern Taiwan, in Taichung City in central Taiwan, and in Kinmen County on an outlying island of Taiwan. Other assignments may also be made.

To assist in placement, candidates should indicate preferences in the Statement of Grant Purpose for any or all of the following: elementary school, junior high school, rural area, urban area, minority area, underprivileged area, large city, small city, town, village, and/or island. Preferences are taken into consideration, but final assignments are based on the needs of the program.

Independent study:

No research or independent study is required. ETA awards are not study/research awards, and teaching takes most of the grantee’s time. In applying, the Statement of Grant Purpose should focus on why the applicant wishes to teach English in Taiwan and how to make it a memorable cultural experience.

Additional Information:

The following information may be of use:

- Yilan County Government:  http://enwww.e-land.gov.tw

- Kaohsiung City Government:  http://www.kcg.gov.tw/EN/Index.aspx

- Kinmen County Government:  http://www.kinmen.gov.tw/Layout/main_en/index.aspx?frame=18

- Taichung City Government: http://eng.taichung.gov.tw/mp.aspx?mp=1

- Chinese Language Centers: http://english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=9693&CtNode=417&mp=1


ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.


Fulbright Taiwan (FSE): http://www.fulbright.org.tw

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.