Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

7 Open Study/Research Awards

Grant Period:

10 months.

Grantees are expected to schedule their academic programs to coincide with the Swedish academic year (September - May). No exceptions will be made to adjust the length of the grant period.

Candidate Profile:

Well-qualified candidates at all degree levels are welcome to apply, doctoral candidates up to the dissertation level. Fulbright Grantees undertake one year of instruction or research at a Swedish university or research center. Information on studying in Sweden and Swedish institutions of higher education can be found at www.studyinsweden.se

Consideration will be given to clearly-defined projects requiring a student’s presence in Sweden.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: Swedish language proficiency is not required. Some study of Swedish prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with a Swedish university or research center. It is not necessary to have finalized affiliation arrangements at the time of application, but grantees must submit evidence of affiliation before arrival in Sweden.

Grantees at a Swedish institution of higher education are expected to conduct full-time study and must have a suitable academic adviser.

Grantees conducting independent research must be affiliated with a Swedish university or college, research institute, governmental agency, or other acceptable organization. Please see the Fulbright website to access “Guidelines for Prospective Host Affiliations and Advisors” at www.fulbright.se.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition:

As of 2011, Swedish universities and institutes of higher education charge tuition for foreign students from outside the European Union. While research activities carried out in Sweden by U.S. students will usually remain free of charge, grantees coming to Sweden to conduct coursework may be required to pay tuition. Tuition waivers and scholarships are at the discretion of the individual universities. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the university directly regarding all tuition matters. Tuition costs are not covered by the Fulbright grant. Further information concerning funding for study in Sweden can be found at: www.universityadmissions.se.


U.S. citizens currently residing in Sweden are ineligible for consideration.

Additional Information:

Finding accommodation as a researcher at a Swedish university is extremely difficult. It can prove to be one of the greatest challenges facing incoming grantees. Fulbright grantees are encouraged as early as possible to check the relevant websites for housing alternatives, to make inquiries to their Swedish academic advisors as well as contact current Fulbright grantees for any tips they may have. Many university housing offices allow students to register in their queue systems prior to being formally admitted into the university. Having a low queue number is essential, and some university housing offices have waiting lists of one year or longer. Applicants should not wait until formal notification of the grant to place their names on the waiting list. Students planning to live and conduct coursework in Stockholm should register at: www.sssb.se. Other websites that advertise short-term housing off campus are: www.bostaddirekt.com, en.qasa.se, and the online news (in English) at www.thelocal.se

If you have questions, please contact Maria Carle at [email protected].



Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.