Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

Open Study/Research Award

Grant Period:

9 months

Fulbright grants will begin between August 2017 and March 2018, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Mbabane.

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in June 2017 in Washington, DC as a condition of their grants.

The U.S. Embassy in Mbabane also organizes mandatory in-country briefing sessions at the beginning and end of the grant period.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: Although English is the official language, siSwati may be needed for research conducted in rural areas.  

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an educational or research institution. It is strongly recommended that candidates identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Special Opportunities:

The University of Swaziland (UNISWA), Southern Africa Nazarene University (SANU), and Limkokwing University of Technology can host Fulbright grantees in a variety of fields in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences including: agriculture, commerce, education, environmental studies, health, and technology.  Other institutions that may be considered include the Law Society of Swaziland; the Council of Swaziland Churches; the Council of Mediation, Arbitration and Conciliation (CMAC); the Federation of Swaziland Employers and Chamber of Commerce (FSE/CC) as well as the National Response Council for HIV/AIDS (NERCHA). 

Research Clearance:

Research clearance should be requested before departure from the United States, but is usually granted after participants have arrived in Swaziland. Most Fulbright researchers choose to affiliate with the University of Swaziland's Social Science Research Unit, which opens access to research facilities and makes it possible to get a residence permit. UNISWA’s mailing address is: University of Swaziland, Private Bag 4, Kwaluseni M201, Kingdom of Swaziland, Southern Africa.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.