Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

2 Open Study/Research Awards

Grant Period:

9 months.

Grants begin in October and end in June.

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile:

Graduate-level students (Master's and above) carrying out research related to their degree field who are willing to lead an independent research project in the course of their time here are preferred. Applicants should be able to work independently.

Preference will be given to U.S. Fulbright student researchers to Slovenia who are:

  • Able and willing to undertake very independent research projects.
  • Have some knowledge of the Slovenian language, particularly for primary research data.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: A strong working knowledge of Slovenian is desirable. Original, strong academic research by U.S. Fulbright students in Slovenia in the humanities and social sciences cannot be carried out without a strong working knowledge of the Slovenian language, as the availability of primary data in these fields in English is not generally available. Knowledge of Slovenian language is less of an issue for projects in the field of fine arts, music and photography. For candidates in these fields, knowledge of Slovenian language is not required.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


Preliminary contacts and letters of affiliation from host institutions are desired, but not required, at the time of application. It is not necessary to have secured an affiliation at the time of application; however, U.S. Fulbrighters must submit evidence of an affiliation at least three months before arriving in Slovenia.

Universities are organized according to the European system. University bulletins that list all courses offered are available each fall.  Below are the websites of Slovenian public universities:

University of Ljubljana: http://www.uni-lj.si/en
University of Maribor: http://www.um.si
University of Primorska: http://www.upr.si

For information about research institutes or other independent/private institutions, contact the U.S. Embassy.


Candidates currently residing in Slovenia are not eligible for consideration.


The Slovenian Government provides a local currency stipend toward the cost of housing. The housing allowance amounts to Euros 800 per month provided by the Slovenian Human Resources Development and Fellowship Fund. Due to Slovene Tax laws the Government of Slovenia began to deduct 25 % taxes on stipend allowance. Post will provide incoming U.S. students about the details and procedures.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.