Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

Open Study/Research Award

Grant Period:

10 months

September through late June. Fulbright grants will begin between August 2017 and March 2018, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Muscat. 

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July 2017 as a condition of their grants.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Recommended - Intermediate
2 years of college-level study, or the equivalent, prior to commencing the grant

Additional Information: A level of proficiency in Arabic sufficient to carry out the proposed research is preferred. English is the medium of instruction in all private and government colleges and universities. Courses in the Colleges of Arts, Education, and Islamic Sciences are taught in Arabic.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. However, the U.S. Embassy in Muscat makes the final arrangements in placing grantees at the appropriate academic institution. All host affiliations must be approved by the Government of Oman; as such, the selection process for Oman may require additional time.

Field of Study Restrictions:

Proposals in all fields are welcome, with the following caveats: any subject related to politics is not recommended; and projects in social anthropology and genetics may present issues depending on the specific nature of the proposal. Candidates with such proposals are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy early in the application process.

Research Clearance/Visa Requirements:

Individual academic institutions are not able to grant permission for off-campus fieldwork. Students wishing to conduct field research will need permission from, and should seek affiliation with, the pertinent ministry dealing with their project area. Allow plenty of time for such clearances.

Students need to send their passport copies, photos, and curricula vitae to the U.S. Embassy before their arrival and the Embassy will forward the documents to the host institutions in order to facilitate the visa issuance process.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.