Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

Open Study/Research Award

Grant Period:

9 months

Fulbright grants begin between August 2017 and March 2018, subject to approval by the U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees may be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in June 2017 in Washington, DC as a condition of their grants.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: Although English is the official language, knowledge of a local language or pidgin English may be needed for certain projects.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: No


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an appropriate host institution.  It is strongly recommended that candidates identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications. While the University of Port Harcourt and Delta State University in Abraka are Fulbright partner institutions, placements are not possible there at this time due to ongoing security and logistical concerns. The most recent Travel Warning issued by the Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens avoid travel to Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states because the security situation in Northeast Nigeria remains fluid and unpredictable. Therefore, placements are not possible in the institutions in Northeast Nigeria.   

Affiliations are encouraged with the following host institutions.

1.     University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State

2.     University of Lagos, Akoka-Yaba, Lagos State

3.     University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State

4.     Lagos State University, Ojo, Lagos State

5.     University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State

6.     Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State

7.     University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State

8.     University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State

9.     Benue State University, Makurdi, Benue State

10.  University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State

11.  Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State

12.  Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State

13.  Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State

14.  Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State

15.  Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State

16.  Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State

Field of Study Restrictions:

Projects involving the laboratory sciences are discouraged because most Nigerian universities have inadequate laboratory equipment for students, and conducting science experiments is often difficult as a result.

Specific Considerations:

Candidates with projects in the Niger Delta and certain parts of Northern Nigeria will not be considered due to acute logistical and security concerns.

Visa Requirements:

While not required at the time of application, candidates should note that written consent from the Vice Chancellor of the affiliate university is necessary for their visas. A visa will not be issued by the Nigerian Embassy/Consulate until the Vice Chancellor’s letter is received.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.