Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select category below to view more information on Grants

Fulbright Study/Research Grants


Proficiency in French is required at the time of application. Hausa, Zarma, or another local language of the area in which research will take place is useful. Research candidates are required to provide a synopsis in French of their proposals with their applications. 

Grant period:

9 months. Fulbright grants will begin between August 2014 and March 2015, subject to the approval of the U.S. Embassy in Niamey.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure affiliation with an educational or research institution. It is strongly recommended that applicants identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and that they include affiliation letters with their Fulbright applications.

Special considerations:

The security situation in Niger is fluid. The U.S. Embassy provides advice on special security considerations. Travel to many areas outside of the capital, Niamey, is currently restricted for U.S. government personnel. Please view the latest Travel Warning at travel.state.gov for up-to-date information.


The grant is increased by US$200 per month for one accompanying dependent; by US$300 per month for two or more accompanying dependents.

Research clearance:

A clearance is required by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research. The content of the application submitted to the Ministry depends on the field of study/research. The application for clearance may only be submitted after arrival in Niger, and issuance of the authorization can take 2 to 6 weeks.

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.