Fulbright U.S. Student Program

New Zealand

Select award for detailed information

8 Open Study/Research Awards

Grant Period:

10 months

Grantees arrive in New Zealand in late January/early February 2018 and must participate in the orientation program offered by the Fulbright Commission prior to the beginning of the New Zealand academic year. This orientation provides an introduction to New Zealand society, culture, politics, and history, and offers useful information on the academic environment and the Fulbright program. Grantees must also participate fully in the June report-back event, the end-of-year Thanksgiving event, and must provide to the Fulbright Commission copies of any articles, research papers, or theses completed while in New Zealand.

Pre-Departure Orientation:

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile:

Applicants may wish to either: a) enroll in a graduate degree program at a New Zealand university; b) carry out research towards a U.S. graduate degree; or, c) carry out an independent study/research project while being affiliated with a New Zealand higher education or research institution. Applicants currently pursuing U.S. doctoral degrees must indicate in their applications how their intended research in New Zealand will contribute to their doctoral programs.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


All applicants must be affiliated with an accredited higher education or research institution in New Zealand. Applicants are expected to find their own affiliations and must include affiliation letters in their Fulbright applications. The Fulbright Commission will assist candidates awarded grants with finalizing affiliation arrangements.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition:

Tuition for grantees enrolling at New Zealand universities is paid up to a capped amount by the Fulbright Commission in New Zealand during the period of the grant. Please see the Fulbright New Zealand website for more details.


Candidates currently residing in New Zealand (or those who will be living there during the 2016-2017 academic year) will not be considered. Individuals with dual U.S.-New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency are not eligible. Applicants with completed doctorates at the time of the start of the award are not eligible.

Field of Study Considerations:

Applicants considering Maori/indigenous/cultural-specific projects should investigate norms/practices to ensure the feasibility of the project. They can do this by searching relevant websites and contacting faculty or experts in the proposed area.

Research Clearance:

Candidates must apply for research clearance in some cases. The application process can take a significant period of time, so candidates should discuss this issue with their project supervisor in advance of their arrival in New Zealand and begin the application process for research clearance as early as possible.

Special Opportunities:

Some New Zealand universities offer U.S. Fulbright students the opportunity to apply for scholarships that will enable them to continue full-time studies in New Zealand beyond the 10-month Fulbright award. These scholarships are available to Fulbright students completing a 12-month thesis-only master's degree, enrolling in the second year of a two-year master’s degree program, or enrolling in a one-year master’s degree program designed to follow a post-graduate diploma or honours program, or enrolling in a New Zealand doctoral program. Applicants interested in this option should indicate this in their Fulbright applications and check for details on the Fulbright New Zealand website.


Dependent support is not available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.