Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

2 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Grant Period:

9 months.

ETAs arrive in mid-September to participate in the teachers’ meetings which are held prior to the commencement of the academic year. Grants conclude in mid-June.


Pre-Departure Orientation:

No Pre-Departure Orientation

Candidate Profile:

Preference will be given to applicants already possessing a Bachelor's degree at the time of application, with the initiative, maturity, and self-reliance needed to assist in teaching English language and American studies to Maltese students in university, high school, and elementary school environments.  Master’s-level candidates and applicants with teaching experience are encouraged to apply.



Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: Maltese language proficiency is not required. Some study of Maltese prior to arrival is encouraged in order to promote deeper engagement with the host community.

Placement Type:

Grantees will assist permanent teaching staff at the University of Malta and at Maltese primary and secondary schools.  Details of assignments will be subject to communication between the U.S. Embassy, Malta’s Ministry of Education, and the University of Malta. The Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Program aims to strengthen English language and English/American studies instruction at Maltese educational institutions by providing a native-speaker presence in the classroom, between 12 and 16 teaching hours per week. The ETA program placement and schedule may vary from one academic year to the next. 

In addition to their English Teaching Assistant activities, grantees may enroll in academic courses each semester, if the assignment permits such activity, or engage in independent research related to their fields of study. These activities, combined with the Teaching Assistant responsibilities, will comprise a full-time program. Each host institution will tailor the assistantship to its language teaching needs and the grantee’s background, academic interests, and abilities. 

ETAs will also have the opportunity to perform volunteer work in addition to regular teaching duties.  Some volunteer options include working with young Maltese children outside school hours and local NGOs engaged in teaching English to third-country refugees and asylum seekers resident in Malta.  English instruction for refugees and asylum seekers will promote their integration into Maltese society and/or prepare them for resettlement in other European countries or the United States. 

ETAs do not need a visa to travel to Malta.  Upon arrival, they will have their passport stamped with a three-month visa.  Within the three-month time period, it is imperative that the ETAs work with the International Office, University of Malta, to apply for residence permits.  It is highly recommended that ETAs contact the U.S. Embassy and the University of Malta's International Office prior to their departure from the U.S. in order to familiarize themselves with the residence permit application process and prepare the required documentation.



Dependent support is available


For more information on Malta and the University of Malta:

http://www.visitmalta.com/main ; 

http://www.um.edu.mt ;

The U.S. Embassy website is:  http://malta.usembassy.gov/

Contact: [email protected]

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.