Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

4 English Teaching Assistant Awards

Grant Period:

10 months

All grantees must attend an in-country orientation in August 2017. The school year begins in September and runs through June 2018.

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees are required to attend a pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. in the summer of 2017 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile:

Applicants should be mature, articulate individuals who are committed to working and living in a Macau university setting. Applicants must be native English-speakers. No previous teaching experience is required. ETAs cannot be accompanied by dependents.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: No Cantonese or Mandarin language skills are required. All instruction is in English.

Placement Type:

Grantees will be placed at higher education institutions in Macau.


Applicants currently residing in China, Hong Kong, or Macau (or those who will be living there during the 2016-2017 academic year) will not be considered.

Nature of Assignment:

Approximately 20 hours per week of classroom teaching plus requisite class preparation time is expected. English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) will also organize language-related cross-cultural student activities and the mix of activities will vary by institution.


Housing arrangements will be facilitated by the host institution.


Dependent support is not available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.