Fulbright U.S. Student Program

European Union

Select category below to view more information on Grants

4 Study/Research Grants

Indicate “European Union” as the country of study in the application.


There are no language requirements for this award; however, candidates may find proficiency in the language(s) of their host countries useful.

Grant period:

Grants are for six to nine months with a minimum period of three months in each EU member state. However, preference is given to projects of 9 months from September to June.
Exact start dates may be decided with host institutions. Dates for orientation will be supplied by the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in the country of affiliation.

Candidate profile:

Grants are awarded to U.S. students and young professionals to study or conduct research at universities or institutions in EU Member States on EU policies, EU institutions, and the U.S.-EU agenda.

Project proposals should focus on observing comparative perspectives on issues of common concern (either U.S.-EU or with reference to EU policy). Proposals may address topics such as internal and external security, peace-keeping, the EU and NATO, justice and home affairs, finance, trade, human rights, agricultural and environmental policies, energy, asylum, human trafficking, development, and EU enlargement. This list of topics is indicative, not exhaustive.

Areas of study must relate to EU competencies and not merely Europe or countries of Europe. Proposals that focus on only one or two European countries and do not demonstrate a “European added value” will not be considered.


U.S. citizens who currently reside in the EU or receive other European Commission funding (Marie Curie, Erasmus Mundus, etc.) for the same activity are ineligible for consideration.

Grants will not be provided for participation in the European Commission internship program. Those interested in such internships should contact: 

Delegation of the Commission of the European Union
2175 K Street, NW
Washington DC 20037


Preference will be given to applicants who plan to carry out their project in at least two EU member states. However, students wishing to spend time in one location that houses an EU institution (Brussels, Strasbourg, Luxembourg) or an EU-dedicated program of study may apply.
Applicants are responsible for arranging affiliations and for submitting supporting documentation for each institution with which they plan to affiliate. This documentation should specify dates and length of time to be spent at each location.

Grant Administration and Benefits:

This grant is administered by the Fulbright Commission in Belgium with the help of Fulbright offices in whichever country(ies) the applicant selects for his/her project. If selected, candidates are responsible for independently coordinating with the local Fulbright office(s) to integrate themselves into any local programming or administrative support that exists.

In addition to a €2,000 travel relocation grant and €3,000 monthly maintenance payments, successful candidates will receive round-trip transportation to and from Brussels, Belgium, where they will participate for free in the Belgian Fulbright Commission’s annual EU/NATO seminar in the spring.


Please note that for stays of more than 90 days in an EU Member State, a visa will be needed.  Please take this into consideration when planning the duration of stay, as you may need multiple visas for projects carried out in more than one EU Member State.


I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.