Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

8 Open Study/Research Awards

Award Profile:

The U.S. Student Program to Egypt is currently suspended for the 2016-2017 academic year. Potential applicants for 2017-2018 should discuss the status of the U.S. Fulbright Program to Egypt with the IIE program manager for the Middle East/North Africa region (Jermaine Jones: 212-984-5341 or [email protected]) before applying. A decision regarding the status of the U.S. Student Program to Egypt may not be available prior to the 2017-2018 deadline.

Grant Period:

9 months

All grants should have an official start date of on/about September 1, 2017, with an end date of on/about May 31, 2018. Grantees are also required to attend the post-arrival orientation conducted by the Fulbright Commission in mid-September 2017.

If awarded a Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) in conjunction with the study/research grant, the abovementioned grant dates will be adjusted by the Fulbright Commission. For more details about CLEA dates and timing, please refer to the Egypt-specific CLEA guidelines given below.

Pre-Departure Orientation:


All grantees are required to attend a Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. in June or July 2017 as a condition of their grants.

Candidate Profile:

Preference is given to students currently enrolled in American graduate degree programs.  Candidates at all degree levels are welcome to apply. Ideal candidates are serious, research/study-oriented individuals, who have well thought-out research/study projects that can be reasonably accomplished in nine months. Candidates who present research projects showing specific knowledge of Egypt, the Arabic language and/or the Arab world, or Islam, for example, will have a better grasp of research possibilities.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Recommended - Intermediate
2 years of college-level study, or the equivalent, prior to commencing the grant

Additional Information: Applicants are required to have sufficient proficiency in written and spoken Arabic to conduct the proposed study. An applicant for a language-only grant must have studied Arabic for a minimum of two years.

Applicants may also apply for a Critical Language Enhancement Award to improve the feasibility of their proposals. Additional details about the Critical Language Enhancement Award program, and the Egypt-specific CLEA guidelines, can be found in the following section.

Critical Language Enhancement Award:

The Critical Language Enhancement Award provides an opportunity for Fulbright U.S. Student Program grantees to receive intensive language study in addition to their research or study grants. The award provides a stipend and tuition reimbursement for grantees to pursue language training in the host countries. Application for a Critical Language Enhancement Award is made in conjunction with the Fulbright U.S. Student application. For additional information and requirements on the award please see Critical Language Enhancement Award details.

Acceptable Languages: Arabic – Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and/or dialect

Prior Language Study: A minimum of one year of prior Arabic study is required.

Dates and Timing: Grant duration is a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months.  All grantees should arrive in Egypt on/about September 1, 2017. If the Fulbright application proposes research, the CLEA grant period must precede the Fulbright grant period, i.e. the CLEA grant period should begin on/about September 1, 2017.  If the application proposes Arabic language study, the CLEA grant period must start immediately following the conclusion of the Fulbright grant period, i.e. the CLEA grant period should begin on/about June 1, 2018.  Concurrent CLEA and Fulbright grant periods are not permitted.  CLEA and Fulbright grants must be taken consecutively. A U.S. Fulbright Student grant, or a CLEA, may not begin earlier than September 1, 2017.

Approved institutions:

·         Alexandria University, the TAFL Center

·         The American University in Cairo

·         Al-Diwan Center, Cairo

·         Hedayet Center, Cairo

·         International Language Institute, Cairo

·         Kalimat Language School, Cairo

The study of Arabic language may include formal classroom instruction, or tutoring with an instructor from one of the abovementioned approved institutions, or a combination of both. All activities funded by CLEA must have the prior approval of the Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt.

Other Notes: Students who plan to pursue graduate degree programs during their U.S. Fulbright Student grants are expected to begin their studies at the onset of the Fall 2017 semester and thereby may not apply for a CLEA.

Critical Language Enhancement Award Manager: Amira Ibrahim, Binational Fulbright Commission in Egypt.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Each grantee must be affiliated with a host institution approved by the Fulbright Commission. The Commission arranges host-institution affiliations for research grantees at Egyptian national or private academic institutions and research entities. Affiliation with the American University in Cairo (AUC) is limited to full-time Arabic language study and graduate degree programs. Applicants may indicate a preferred host institution. Although not mandatory, a letter of invitation from a potential host institution may be included in the application. Research which involves travel outside of the greater Cairo metropolitan area will be subject to approval by the Fulbright Commission on a case-by-case basis. Please consult with the U.S. Department of State’s travel web site for more information on living in and traveling to Egypt at: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/egypt.html.

A grantee wishing to pursue Arabic language or graduate studies must apply directly to the program of his/her choice. For language-only grants, preference is given to students enrolled in the Center for Arabic Study Abroad (CASA) or the Center for Advanced Arabic Study in Cairo (CAASIC). Separate application procedures apply for each program. For additional information about CASA, applicants should visit http://casa.fas.harvard.edu/. For additional information about CAASIC, applicants should visit http://www.aucegypt.edu/academics/ALI/CAASIC/Pages/default.aspx.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition:

• Grantees who enroll in diploma or degree programs, or in university classes in general, will need to secure independent (non-Fulbright) funds to cover the local university’s tuition costs and fees.
• For language-only grants, the Commission reimburses the cost of tuition incurred to a ceiling of $14,000 U.S. Dollars (USD), or its equivalent in Egyptian Pounds (EGP), against receipts. Program, registration, or other associated fees are covered by the grantee.
• Graduate study and research grants carry a modest provision for Arabic language study.
• The Commission does not cover any supplemental tuition or private instruction fees, other than the above mentioned language instruction.

Special Application Instructions:

Fulbright Student Grants are for:

  • Independent Research
  • Graduate Degree Enrollment
  • Full-time Arabic language study

None of these grant activities can be combined in the same grant.

Special Considerations:

Applicants that become recommended candidates for grants to Egypt will be asked to provide the following documents for the purpose of receiving Government of Egypt (GOE) clearances: an abstract of their projects in Arabic (and its English translation); a one-page resume; and a narrative outlining their projects’ objectives, research methodology, time-line and host country resources (if any).

Applications involving research/study outside major metropolitan areas are subject to review and approval by the Fulbright Commission.

Research Clearance :

The Fulbright Commission issues grants approved by the Government of Egypt (GOE).  The Fulbright Commission applies for GOE project clearances on behalf of U.S. Fulbright students. Not all fieldwork is permitted (particularly fieldwork that involves the administration of surveys or structured interviews), and projects regarding subjects that are socially, culturally, or politically sensitive may be denied clearance. Projects that are denied GOE project clearances will not be funded.


Dependent support is available

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.