Fulbright U.S. Student Program


Select award for detailed information

10 Open Study/Research Awards

Grant Period:

10 months

Grant period will begin in September and end in June. In order to be selected for a grant to Denmark your application needs to prove that your residence permit will be arranged through the Danish university, and therefore you must prove application for admission to the Danish university as a guest student. If you are selected for a Fulbright grant to Denmark, you are required to contact the Fulbright Commission in Denmark in advance of planning your arrival and residence permit application. You must submit exact dates for the grant period in Denmark as these dates will be used for the required student residence permit, grant documents, and payment. The Danish-American Fulbright Commission will help you in the process, and you must therefore be in contact with the Commission about this.

Should you not be admitted to a Danish institution of higher education, and accordingly not be able to secure a residence permit to Denmark, your Fulbright grant cannot be awarded.

A mandatory two-day Fulbright arrival orientation takes place in Copenhagen in late August for grantees beginning their grant period in the fall. You must plan your start date accordingly. A mid-term seminar in November and a wrap-up seminar in May/June are also included.

Candidate Profile:

Applications will be considered from well-qualified candidates at all degree levels and in all fields if the proposal can be carried out within the auspices of Danish institutions of higher learning. The Commission encourages applications from graduate students whose proposals involve full-time graduate study, or combine research and graduate advanced courses if acceptable to the Danish institution. Recent graduates and graduating seniors with independent research projects or interviews will not be accepted. All applicants must meet exam and other requirements of the Danish program.

All applicants must have previous experience in the proposed field of study.

Applicants interested in studies or research in Greenland or the Faroe Islands are welcome to apply. However, studies and projects including Greenland and/or the Faroe Islands must have a Danish university level institution as their main affiliation and follow the general rules above for Danish admission requirements and student residence permit. Given these special circumstances, and based on experience, it is suggested that applicants contact the Commission to discuss the Fulbright project before applying. Please note that these applications must have strong letters of affiliation from both Denmark, Greenland and/or the Faroe Islands.

Accepted Degree Levels:


Foreign Language Proficiency:

Not Required

Additional Information: Danish language proficiency is not required unless demanded by the Danish institution or needed to successfully complete the project/study plan or if the applicant is pursuing Kierkegaard studies, areas within Danish studies or archival studies.

The language of instruction in institutions of higher learning is generally Danish, but with a large number of courses taught in English. If necessary, applicants must include plans for pre-departure language study in their Fulbright applications. Danish language abilities will greatly enhance the Fulbright experience. Students enrolled at many universities should be aware that pre-semester Danish language instruction is available and provided at the university, but please be aware of the residence permit requirements in order to attend.

Fulbright Proposal Types:

Independent Study/Research: Yes

Graduate Degree Enrollment: Yes


Applicants are reminded that they must apply independently for admission to the university, and comply with their application deadlines at the same time as the Fulbright application is submitted. University admission guidelines can be found at the university websites. Applicants must clearly state in their contact with the Danish institution that they are applying for a Fulbright grant, and the application to Fulbright must include a copy of admission correspondence.

Admission to a Danish institution of higher learning is necessary in order to comply with Danish residence permit laws, and all candidates must therefore be admitted to a Danish institution that has legal status to apply for a residence permit on the candidate’s behalf. The Fulbright grant to Denmark is therefore dependent on a successful admission to a Danish institution of higher education. American students to Denmark need a letter of affiliation from a Danish host institution regardless of their level of education. Sample letters (attached here in two versions: one for master’s students, one for PhD students) must be filled out by the Danish institution and must accompany the Fulbright application, otherwise it cannot be considered for a Fulbright grant.

All applicants must comply with all study program requirements of their Danish education in order to maintain their student residence permit in Denmark, which is a requirement for obtaining the Fulbright grant in Denmark.

The admission process for some fields, especially in the arts, may include the submission of a portfolio or auditions.

The Danish-American Fulbright Commission is willing to assist with contacts at appropriate Danish institutions.

Affiliation Fees/Tuition:

By very special agreement, American Fulbright students to Denmark are exempt from paying tuition during their Fulbright period. Fulbright grantees pursuing a 2-year Master’s degree will be exempt from paying tuition during their Fulbright grant period, but after the first year of study, the grantee will loose the Fulbright status and will be liable to non-EU tuition fees, which can be at a high rate. The student will have to reapply to the university in order to be admitted for a second year at a Danish institution of higher education. The residence permit must also be extended/reviewed accordingly. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to research any degree possibilities after the Fulbright grant period.

A few post-graduate and diploma degree programs are not part of this special tuition agreement with the Danish government and therefore, Fulbright grantees will have to pay tuition in order to attend these special one-year master’s degree programs. Based on experience, it is unlikely that the Danish Selection Committee will choose an applicant for one of these one-year diploma degrees.

Private lessons, such as music instruction outside of the student’s institutional affiliation, are not free and will require that the student budget accordingly.


Dual citizens of the U.S. and Denmark are ineligible for consideration. Students with dual U.S./other country citizenship accepted for a Fulbright grant to Denmark must always enter Denmark on their U.S. passports and enroll as U.S. students at the Danish institution for the entire period of their Fulbright grant.

Students who are not admitted to their proposed programs of study in Denmark cannot be considered.

Students who have already begun their studies in Denmark at the time of application are ineligible to apply, as are students who have already spent considerable time in Denmark (½ year study abroad not included).


The Danish-American Fulbright Commission is not responsible for securing housing for grantees. Students should allow ample time to secure housing before departing for Denmark. Danish universities are not obligated to find housing but may be able to offer some support – check their websites for more information.

Dependent Support:

A Fulbright student grantee to Denmark with dependent(s) will receive a one-off amount of 20,000 DKK (approximately 3000 USD) extra on his/her grant, but the dependent(s) must be able to support him/herself to the amount of a Danish student loan – see website below for details. The limited Fulbright dependent support (spouse/registered partner) is only available for a dependent staying in Denmark for the entire Fulbright grant period. Dependents must obtain a residence permit in order to stay in Denmark.

Grant applications must clearly indicate the number of dependents accompanying the applicant during the grant period, explain what the dependents will do during their stay in Denmark, as well as how they will obtain their needed Danish residence permit. Be aware that you will need to provide additional documentation, including proof of financial support, in order to secure a residence permit for any accompanying dependents.

Read about the requirements for obtaining residence permits for accompanying family members here: https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_to_dk/studies/accompanying-family-members.htm

Please feel free to contact the Danish-American Fulbright Commission if you have any questions concerning dependents.


Dependent support is available


The Danish-American Fulbright Commission: http://wemakeithappen.dk/en/

Important information about study options in Denmark can be found on this website, which is the official guide to higher education in Denmark: http://studyindenmark.dk/

General information about Denmark can be found on this website: http://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-gb/denmark/your-tourism-guide-to-attractions-and-hotels?_ga=1.6122740.692380626.1418658052

Contact at the Danish-American Fulbright Commission: [email protected]

I am a....

Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply.  All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses.  Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student you would be eligible to apply in your senior year.  If you are a graduate student you are eligible to apply to most countries as long as you will not have a PhD degree on the application deadline.

Non-U.S. Student

If you are a non-U.S. citizen looking to applying for a Fulbright grant to study in the United States you will apply to the Fulbright Program for Foreign Students in your home country.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, hold a bachelor’s degree, and do not have a PhD degree then you could be eligible for certain awards within the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  Please review the program summary for the country where you would like to apply.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts.  Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 5 years or less) in which they are applying.  Artists with more experience should consider applying for Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 



U.S. Professor

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award you will need to apply through CIES.

Non U.S. Professor

If you are a non-U.S. citizen and a professor interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award to the United States you would need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country.  Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program.